Thursday, September 13, 2007

Work out

Last evening history was made: I worked out for the 1st time ever.

I made an appointment with Spouse's personal trainer (and our friend) Rick, and made him promise to take it easy on me. I explained I'd never worked out before and did NOT want to vomit, sweat, or be sore the next day. He laughed and said "Sure!"

Rick is a good trainer and really tailors the sessions to his clients' needs. Obviously, if he forced me to do too much or made it too difficult and unpleasant, I wouldn't go back. But many times he checked in with me by saying "How ya feelin'?", to which I would always respond "This is hard!"

I started with 5 minutes on the treadmill, which was a piece of cake. Since Spouse & I walk all over Lewes and Rehoboth I wasn't even out of breath after the 5 minutes. Then we moved on to the other exercises and machines. Rick was great to demonstrate the proper techniques for me since I'd never done it before.

About 1/2 way through I began to feel hot and clammy as well as a little nauseous. I told him I thought I should lie down for a few minutes. He said I appeared to be holding my breathe some of the time while working out, and likely I wasn't getting enough oxygen. So after just a few minutes I resumed the work out and paid better attention to my breathing, taking nice deep breathes and exhaling regularly. It really helped!

The work out concluded with sit-ups and 'elbows and knees', which look like one is riding an invisible bicycle while lying on one's back. When I finished I told Rick he was successful in not making me vomit, but that he'd failed in the part about not making me sweat, since I was glistening all over.

Since I've done a good bit of walking I assumed that the leg work out would affect me less and that the upper body work out would result in more soreness. But so far today, it is the exact opposite! My thigh muscles feel stiff/sore and my upper body feels like normal, which makes no sense what-so-ever to me.

I'm going back on Mon for my next session.

Drag Queen name of the day: Ophelia Payne

No comments: