Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday fragments

Last night we went to see the most recent Batman installment "The Dark Knight".
We liked it, but I must admit that I found a few things annoying. A number of times the 'background' music as too loud and prevented me from hearing the dialog. I also found the frequent camera angle changes to be distracting. And why does Batman's voice sound like he just had his adnoids removed? But all in all we liked it.

I took my car in to have the front end aligned and new tires put on. I'd noticed the front tires were badly and unevenly worn.
I also felt a vibration in the steering wheel when driving 25-40 mph. These 2 things told me the front end needed aligning. I was happy to learn that the mechanic agreed with me and took care of it. The alignment was $65. and the tires were $90. each. My car drives like a brand new car now! Its amazing what a difference the alignment and new tires make!

Spouse & I stopped in at our favorite local discount store Value City. They were having a crazy, end-of-summer, blow-out sale. All men's short-sleeve shirts were $3.99. I didn't buy any because I have more clothes than I can wear. Once or twice a year I edit my closet and donate the clothes I don't want anymore. But we find some fabulous deals on other stuff we needed. We got a set of cushions for our wicker porch furniture for $14.99, which includes a settee cushion and 2 chair cushions. For $14.99!

We also got 2 small tables with metal legs and ceramic tile tops for $4.99 each. I got a pack of 3 briefs originally priced at $12.00 for $1.00. Now, I ask you, where you can get 3 pairs of underwear for a buck? Spouse also picked up 2 nicely scented jar candles for $5. each. We've seen them at many places for $10.-$15. each. The trunk of my car was stuffed and we'd only spent $36. Man, I love days like that!


Today I had a "party lunch". A "party lunch" is when you discover you have no bread with which to make a sandwich, and you're really not in the mood for a bowl of cereal or soup for lunch, so you eat items you'd likely serve at a party!
Today's "party lunch" consisted of hummus and goat cheese with rosemary crackers, kalamata olives, and fresh figs. It was quite tasty, and when I was finished eating I felt like I'd just been to a swanky party! The fresh figs came from my neighbor Claudia's fig tree. After retiring from the military, Claudia returned to the house in which she grew up. Her father planted a fig tree a hundred years ago (not literally) and it produces the sweetest, most delicious figs I've ever tasted. Since the tree is big and produces so much, Claudia gives me figs at least once a week.


Its 3:30 and I am officially off work for the rest of the day. My company closes early on the Fri before a holiday weekend, which I believe is a nice thing to do for employees. Spouse & I were supposed to have company for the long, Labor Day weekend but they had to cancel, so this will be our 1st Labor Day weekend in 6 or 7 years without company!
We're fine with that though, as we'll be able to relax a little more than usual. We'll start the long weekend off with dinner tonight with 'the usual suspects' and a cook-out at our friends George & Steve's on Sun. Our buddies Doug & Jim will be in town this weekend so we'll likely hook up with them at some point, too. Hopefully this overcast weather will go away so we can spend some time at the beach.


I hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday weekend.


Crush du Jour: Victor Vales

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry we couldn't make it up this weekend. Hope you enjoy the time together! We are packing up our stuff and running errands like crazy before the more....
Are you coming back next weekend by any chance?

RAD said...

its our first Labor day in many moons we are not going out of town or have guest too! It should be a nice end of summer long weekend for us! Great deal on the cushion set! WOW!

tornwordo said...

God that tire looks like a death trap, I'm glad you got new ones! Hope you're having a swell long weekend.