There were a number of things that contributed to my not so good weekend. One of them was the fact that I wasn't in the mood to have company, but Spouse's mother and our friend Wendy were already scheduled to come. I really just wanted to hang out at the beach all weekend instead of entertaining people.
Another contributor was Spouse's mother's attitude. I've always known her to have a 'strong sense of self', but this weekend she was in full-on self-admiration mode. Here are some examples of what I heard from her:
- "I hope my little doggie is doing okay. She loves me so much and she hates it when I leave her."
- "I gave my kitty cat extra food and water before I left. She loves me so much she'll probably be looking all over the house for me."
- "Mary called me from her vacation. She said she and the kids miss me so much and can't wait to see me again."
- "Anna will be 17 at the end of the month and doesn't have a boyfriend. When I was her age I had dozens of boyfriends."
- "My husband really spoiled me. He gave me everything I needed and most of what I wanted. He must have really loved me to do all that."
- "I've been to Europe 12 times. My husband and I went everywhere."
- "I hope you feel better from your headache that I gave you."
The weird thing is that she presents to everyone as this gentle, sweet, old lady - which she is - but she's got this other side of her that only comes out around us. I'm sure my friends who have met her in person are aghast at my comments about her. But it was really annoying hear this all weekend long.
Another contributor was that I had a headache on Sun that made me feel cranky.
I feel like my weekend was kind of hijacked, and now its Mon and I am again looking toward the upcoming weekend already. Oh well. No sense in crying over spilled milk.Crush du Jour: Galen Gering