Friday, October 10, 2014

Progress

Marriage equality made great progress this week!

On Mon the Supreme Court (yes, I typed it out... I have the acronym SCOTUS) decided not to take up any of the pending cases in 5 states, which meant the lower court rulings declaring anti-gay marriage laws to be unconstitutional were upheld.  This meant marriage equality became a reality in Wisconsin, Indiana, Oklahoma, Utah, and Virginia.

Yes, Virginia!

I am the most surprised about Virginia because when Spouse & I lived there a terribly-written law went into effect that not only blocked same-sex marriage, but basically also said 2 people of the same sex couldn't do anything that might try to imply the same rights and benefits as marriage!  In other words, a guy couldn't leave his cabin in the woods to his male childhood friend in his will because this might be seen as trying to imply a right or benefit of marriage.  Both the content and the wording of the law were so reprehensible and offensive it was actually 1 of the main reasons Spouse & I decided to move out of Virginia.  Thankfully that is all behind us now and we look forward to receiving wedding invitations from many of our friends still living there.

With days, more states like Colorado, Nevada, Idaho, Kansas, and West Virginia joined the bandwagon, and its not over.  Keep your ears open for announcements in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Wyoming.

My blogger buddy Bob & his fiance Carlos are getting married soon in Washington (near Bob's dad) and hope that their marriage will be recognized in their home state of South Carolina by the time they return home!  How great would that be?!?!  For continuing, up-to-date info on Bob & Carlos' wedding AND states joining the equality march, be sure to visit Bob's blog HERE

4 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

"all of america is ready for the freedom to marry" - I am all for this!

the only ones against it are the rethuglicans/teabagistanis/religious h8ers/neanderthal knuckle-draggers. have you seen the h8 come out of their mouths; it's positively EVIL!

personally, I wanna see all 50 states have equality by the end of 2014.

Bob said...

It would be such a great Welcome Home From Your Wedding present!

Fingers are crossed!

The Cool Cookie said...

I am holding my breath until the 6th Circuit Court makes a ruling on Ohio. I am also holding my breath to see how this goes over in Texas.

Ur-spo said...

"all of america is ready"??
Hardly
All ready I hear plots a brewing to make this another Roe vs. Wade: they can't stop the law but they can make a lot of circumlocution laws to make it nearly useless. I wonder what is next? The battle may be just beginning.