Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pain in the neck, part 2

So last Thursday's massage didn't do much if anything about the pain in my neck and shoulder.  After several more days of pain I decided to go to a chiropractor.  This was not a decision I took lightly.  Growing up both my parents and all 3 of my siblings had to go to the chiropractor at some point or another, with my mother and my middle sister Dianne going extensively.  I have prided myself for being the only person in my family to NOT go to a chiropractor.

Until yesterday.  I just couldn't take the pain anymore, and really wanted to find out what was causing it.  Unfortunately I still don't know the cause.  I probably have a pinched nerve, and since I don't remember doing anything to incur it, the doctor says it was probably a long-developing thing that has just gotten worse over the years.  My posture and my age have intersected at a very uncomfortable place.

After asking me a bunch of questions, examining me, and discussing everything, the doctor stuck electrodes on my neck and shoulder and turned on the juice.  I could feel the electrical current stimulating the muscles, attempting to relax whatever was pinching the nerve.  After 15 minutes of that, I was back to work.

Today I went back to the chiro office for a therapeutic massage of my neck, shoulder, back, and arms.  Talk about painful!!!  That b*tch pressed and poked and punched me so hard I felt like I'd been run over by a truck.  It was definitely NOT a relaxing massage.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that yesterday's electro-muscle stimulation or today's therapeutic massage are helping.  I'm not sure where this is going but I hope it results in relief from this pain in my neck.


Anonymous said...

Hope you get some relief, soon. In addition to a DC, have you considered seeing a medical doctor? Of course everyone's situation is different, but I had some "pinched nerve" pain that responded very well to a prescription drug called gabapentin in addition to some anti-inflammatories. Unfortunately it did take a while before I could wean back off the meds (about 6 weeks, I think) but the relief was wonderful. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

This is similar to what I went through last year - at one point I could not even lift up my left arm without severe pain. Turned out I had purchased a brand new very expensive thermopedic pillow which it turned out compressed the nerves in my neck every night while sleeping. Threw the pillow out and within a couple days everything back to normal.
I guess my point is, check them pillows honey!

CHris from Arlington