Friday, March 10, 2017

New mattress

Yesterday I bought a new mattress.

We bought our last mattress 8 1/2 years ago, while watching TV and having never touched it.  

Spouse has been complaining of back and leg pain recently, and when we were changing the bed linens I noticed that there are 2 distinct impressions in the mattress where we both sleep. 
Not our actual bed, but this demonstrates the body impressions.
Bed companies say you should replace your mattress after 8 years, which could very well be true or just a marketing ploy, but after looking at our 8 1/2 year old mattress, it seemed pretty clear we could use a new one.

I've always been a fan of TempurPedic mattresses because they are memory foam and nearly eliminate motion transfer when 1 person turns over or gets in/out of the bed.  However, during my investigation yesterday I laid down on a couple TempurPedic models and decided it was not the bed for me.  Simply put, even their "plush" model is too firm for me.

I learned that the "hybrid" mattresses have become the most popular.  A hybrid mattress has spring coils in the core with memory foam on top.  After laying on a couple I quickly determined it was much more comfortable than the TempurPedic, and way less expensive too.

Spouse hates shopping in "brick and mortar" stores, so he entrusted me with the task of selecting our new mattress without his input.  We got a Serta iComfort hybrid Applause II Plush mattress from a local, sole proprietor bed store, from which we've purchased guest bedroom beds in the past.  It was a great experience.  The owner/salesman answered my questions, explained some stuff to me (difference between continuous coil and individually wrapped coils) and made the purchase decision easy with his no-pressure style.  They loaded the mattress onto the delivery truck while I paid and as soon as I got home and stripped the current mattress, the delivery van arrived and our new mattress was put in place and the old one was taken away, no extra charge.

Last night's sleep was dreamy (pardon the pun).  I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud!  Spouse was happy with the selection too so it was a win/win.

4 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

local shops are the best!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do agree....Local is better...

I travel frequently and over the years I have grown weary that wherever Igo I see the came chain stores and restaurants...

Part of the fun is traveling to a new destination and finding out where the locals eat-besides Olive Garden-and shop-besides-Macey's....Nothing wrong with any of those but I like to ask where they eat or shop...I have had some good experiences in doing so.

I love LOCAL coffee houses and bookstores...

Mark, Thanks for the clarification...I thought I was loosing my mind...As stated I have a folder of all my favorite blogs I follow and I go through that folder sometimes twice a day...

Enjoy your new bed...

Ur-spo said...

good for you!
A good mattress is most salubrious for health and sleep.
sleep well now

Biki Honko said...

A new mattress is so divine to sleep on. We change our mattress about every 6 years, because hubby has a bad back.