Monday, June 27, 2016

It doesn't work like that

As I've shared before, I'm a realtor and I really enjoy my job.

Even before I became a realtor I enjoyed watching HGTV's "House Hunters" and its variations "House Hunters International", "House Hunters Renovations", etc.  And I still do.  

But I have to laugh when I hear the comments of some of the home buyers like "Oh, I really don't like these white appliances.  These will have to be changed out with stainless steel immediately."  The realtors' attempts to mitigate a home's deficiencies can be nearly as comical, like "This home offers a great opportunity to build equity by updating a few things."

But likely the most unrealistic part of these shows is their insinuation that a realtor shows a buyer 3 homes and then they pick 1 to buy.  

It doesn't work like that.

Even if buyers fall in love with the very 1st house, they always want to see a few other homes to reinforce their decision.  But most of the time it takes at least 6 home showings before buyers are ready to make a purchase, and often it takes even more than 6.

I recently heard from clients to whom I showed homes over 4 years ago.  At that time they were expecting their house in another state to sell, so I kept in touch with them for a couple years.  Finally, after 4 years their house sold and they called me to say they were coming to look at homes again.

Sometimes that's how it works.

1 comment:

anne marie in philly said...

we looked at 5 houses; the 5th house was the best. and 16 years later, we still live in it!

is it perfect? no. but it's solid built, near our jobs, and just a short commuter train ride to the city.