Monday, April 06, 2015

Easter recap

As I accurately predicted, it worked out very well not having the dogs with us for Easter.  We fed and walked them and put them in their crates as usual, then drove to Spouse's mom's house.  We visited a little while with his mom, then slipped over to Trader Joe's to stock up on our favorite things.

We picked up my aunt Mary and took her and Spouse's mom with us to Spouse's brother's house.  He and his wife always have lots and lots of chocolate bunnies and eggs, jelly beans, and other Easter candies.  
Just one of many Easter candy options we enjoyed!
Spouse & I both decided to go off our diets/eating plans that day so we could enjoy all these treats.  In addition to the treats they also served ham, turkey breast, rolls, green bean casserole, baked beans, cole slaw, potato salad, and sweet potato shuffle that my aunt brought.  For dessert we also had cupcakes, peanut butter cookies, and my all-time favorite cake:  hummingbird cake.  As much as I love chocolate and peanut butter, hummingbird cake is my favorite cake and it contains neither chocolate nor peanut butter.
Hummingbird cake with cream cheese icing - my all-time favorite cake
The weather was a little cool but it was relatively sunny so we spent a fair amount of time on Spouse's brother's screened porch.  It was nice to spend the day with the family and NOT worrying about the dogs, since our neighbor texted us to let us know the boys were fine and happy.  They actually went on 2 walks rather than 1, which they love.  We got home that night and received lots of puppy kisses, which I love.

2 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

gah! I wanna lick the computer screen! perhaps I will bake a hummingbird cake this weekend!

Biki Honko said...

Oh my, I too love hummingbird cake! Yummy! For some unknown reason, I'm not a huge cake fan, but there are two cakes that I adore, carrot and hummingbird. But will eat german chocolate, mostly for the frosting!