Thursday, October 11, 2007

Work out update

Work out update: session 5
Since we were returning from the Berkshires on Mon, my regular work out day, I had made arrangements with Rick to switch my work out to Wed this week.

My work out went well. I had a little talk with Rick about the presumed blood pressure spikes and plummets and asked him if I could eat something to help prevent this. He suggested bringing dried fruits like apricots, cranberries, and raisins to the work out with me so I could have a handful to eat part way through the work out to keep my blood pressure from "crashing". He also suggested Gatorade, since it has sugar in it. So I'm going to try this going forward.

But on Wed I didn't have that problem, which was great. I was able to get through the whole session without needing to lie on the ground 3-4 minutes to recuperate from the blood pressure "crash".

Every session ends with an exercise called 'elbows and knees', where you lie on your back with your hands behind your head and you try to touch your right elbow to your left knee, and then your left elbow to your right knee. Typically he has me do 30 'elbows and knees', but this time I was still feeling like I had a little bit more in me, so I did 40 instead. Rick jokingly asked me "Where'd that come from?" and I told him I just felt like I could do a little more. So then he sarcastically replied "Well great, then give me 30 more." After a brief rest I gave him 40 more 'elbows and knees', which gained me a genuine compliment. Rick said most beginners aren't able to do 80 'elbows and knees'. So, although I'm sure I'm way behind most beginners in the weight I'm able to lift, at least I'm above the curve in something.

Drag Queen name of the day: Bobbie Ganoush

No comments: