Monday, August 21, 2006

Family time

Last Thurs I got an email from my cousin Hilleary who lives in CA, indicating he was currently on vacation on the east coast visiting his family. He wanted to know if I was available to get together over the weekend. (Read here for an introduction to Hilleary.)

I excitedly responded to him indicating we would be in town over the weekend, and that I would very much like to see him. He wrote back on Fri and said that he and his 3 sons were staying at his parents’ house, and would like to get together on Sun afternoon. He also said his sister Jeni and her 2 sons were vacationing in Ocean City, but were interested in joining us Sun afternoon on their way home. I was surprised but happy to hear that our visit would now include 7 relatives I’d not seen in 13 years.

Jeni and her sons Andy and Tristin showed up first. I easily recognized Jeni, since adults’ appearances don’t change that drastically in 13 years. But Andy and Tristin were only 6 and 3 years old the last time I saw them, so I wouldn’t have known them if I’d seen them without Jeni.

Similarly when Hilleary showed up, I recognized him easily but would have never known his sons Oli (Oliver), Ben, and Tito (Theo). The last time I saw them Oli and Ben were 4 and 1 year old, and Tito wasn’t even conceived.

We ordered food and I tried to engage everyone with questions. I asked the boys their ages, their grade in school, and about their hobbies. I got the latest scoop on many of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and cousins’ kids from Jeni and Hilleary. We also talked a good bit about the family’s inhumane treatment of those who decide to leave or are kicked out of the JW religion. I was encouraged to hear that Jeni & Hilleary’s non-JW dad, whom I always knew to be quiet and stoic, was incensed at some recent developments.

We visited for nearly 3 hours, and I couldn’t believe how quickly the time had flown by when Hilleary noticed the time and suggested they get going soon in order to not be late for their dinner appointment. We took some photos outside and then said our goodbyes before my ‘family’ returned to MD. It really meant a lot to me that they took time from their vacations to get reacquainted with me. Hilleary suggested we do it again next year when he returns to the east coast for vacation.

When I got back home I returned a call from my aunt Mary and we agreed to have dinner together. As usual, we had a fun time, which really helped keep my mind off the disappointment of losing the “water house”.

Drag Queen name of the day: Rosie Cheeks

No comments: