Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Idol recap

Last night there were just 3 contestants left: Carrie, Vonzell, and Bo. Since they had a full hour to fill, each contestant got to sing 3 songs. There was Clive Davis' choice, the contestant's choice, and the judge's choice.

First were Clive's choices. For Vonzell he chose the Dionne Warwick hit "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again". Now that is a challenging song. It has a full octave jump, 3 times, back-to-back in the chorus. But Vonzell did it! However, Clive cautioned her about smiling too much during a song that is supposed to be somewhat reserved.

For Carrie Clive chose the Roy Orbison/KD Lang hit "Crying" - another really challenging song. This song has a very wide range, but Carrie did a beautiful job with it.

Clive chose Elton John's "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" for Bo. I thought "WHAT???" That song is no where NEAR the difficulty of the songs he chose for the females. Any half-talent could sing that song. That just didn't seem fair.

Next was the contestant's choice, and Vonzell sang the Aretha hit "Chain of Fools". Carrie surprised me with an Air Supply hit "Out of Nothing at All". Bo sang his choice a cappella, but I had never heard the song before and can't tell you the name of it. I didn't like it.

Finally came the judge's choice. Randy chose Donna Summer's "On The Radio" for Vonzell. I'm guessing he picked that song because of it's boring, repetitiveness. He must have thought 'if she can make THIS song interesting, she's a star'.

Paula chose the Rolling Stones' hit "Satisfaction" for Bo. Once again I thought 'why in the world would you pick that song for a singing competition?' There's barely a melody line, and there aren't more than 4 or 5 different pitches to sing. Once again, it seemed to me that Bo was given an incredibly easy song to perform.

Simon chose the Shania Twain hit "Man, I Feel Like A Woman" for Carrie. As you'd expect, she did a good job and had fun with it.

At the end of the night Joe & I both said we hoped Bo would go home, and the finale would be between Vonzell and Carrie. If that were the case, I wouldn't mind who won. I think they are both great singers and performers. But we both knew that Bo was too popular, and that Vonzell would be the one to go home on Wednesday.

We were right. Poor Vonzell had to go home, so next week's finale will be between Carrie and Bo. I still think Carrie will win. She's definitely the better singer - hands down.

What am I going to watch on Tuesday nights when American Idol is over???

No comments: