Wednesday, February 02, 2005

More Movies?

Okay, I am sure I have surpassed a personal record. As you know from my previous posts, we rented 7 movies a week and a half ago and watched them all in 2 days. Then on Monday of this week, Kerry & Hugh invited us to the Cinema & Draft House. It is an old theatre, probably built in the 40s or 50s that shows movies and has waitresses who will bring you food and drinks. It's a fun concept, but they allow smoking, so you come out of the place smelling like an ashtray.

Joe had an appointment, but I decided to meet Kerry & Hugh at the Cinema & Draft House because I wanted to see 'Ray'. You can imagine my delight upon finding out that Mondays are $1.00 night!! That's right - I only paid $1.00 to see 'Ray'. It was great. Jamie Foxx did an amazing job portraying Ray Charles. The music was great and the story was compelling. I had no idea Ray Charles was a bad heroine addict for several years. I would definitely recommend it. (The movie, that is... not heroine.)

Then Tuesday night we realized we hadn't seen the movie we had rented over the weekend, and since it was due back on Wednesday, we watched it on Tuesday night. 'Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle'. It was much better and funnier than I had expected. I remember the trailer looked interesting but I thought it was going to be just marginally entertaining. But it was much more than marginally entertaining. In fact, I'd recommend it.

So, within a 2 week span, I have seen 9 movies - definitely a record for me.

We'd talked about joining Netflix, that service where you will be mailed 3 movies at a time, you watch them, return them in postage-paid envelopes, and they send you 3 more movies. You can keep doing this as many times as you want, for $17.95 per month. But then we figured we'd better not jump the gun... after all, this '9 movies in 2 weeks' thing was definitely a fluke. On average, we probably only rent 1 or 2 movies a month, so $17.95 a month would be way more than we'd pay at the video store. Plus, there are some months (especially in the summer) where we don't rent any movies at all.

I must say, now that I've viewed all of these movies, I am anxious to go to a party so I can talk with others who have seen them. So often when I'm at a party and people talk about current movies I have little idea what they're talking about because I'm lucky if I've seen the trailer on TV, much less seen the actual movie. Maybe I'll host a party so I can talk with people about the movies I've seen. :-)

Last November I went to the Rehoboth Beach Independent Film Festival and saw several movies in a short period of time. I saw 4 films one day and 3 the next. I loved it. I really enjoy indy films and look forward to this film festival every year. (I'm not able to go every year, but I still look forward to it.) Joe is not as big a movie fan as me so he didn't go to the film festival. He did join me at the beach that Friday night after work though, and we spent the rest of the weekend there. We love being near the beach.

No comments: