Friday, January 14, 2005

Taking the truck to the shop

In preparation for our ski trip in Vermont (we're driving), Joe thought it would be a good idea to have the oil and filter changed in our Suburban, and have it "checked out". I agreed that it was time for an oil change (we try to stay on schedule with them), but I was very leary about telling a garage to "check it out" just before a long road trip. I mean, they KNOW they've got you! You tell them you're going to take a long road trip and they tell you there are 101 things that need to be done to ensure you arrive there and back safely.

Against my better judgment, I told them we were taking a road trip and wanted the truck checked out to make sure everything was okay. Everything was not okay. My memory isn't good enough to document all of the necessary repairs, but brakes, a radiator, hoses, belts, and something with the power steering all ended up on the list. Good grief.

I know what you're thinking: You don't have to have all that stuff done. You're right. But would YOU go on a 1,000 mile road trip with the creeping feeling that you could break down at any minute? 8 1/2 hours of driving can put a lot of extra pressure on a vehicle. Imagine what we'd be thinking everytime we heard a squeak or a pop. And what if we did break down... wouldn't I feel like a schmuck for not having had the repairs done after being warned by the mechanic? Yep.

So now we will be poor for the next 4 months and will have to eat beans and franks for every meal. Oooops, beans and franks aren't on our diet - I mean - new healthy way of eating.

Pray for us.

1 comment:

Site Administrator (Michael) said...

Mark the ski bunny! I hope you are having a wonderful ski vacation. I love everything about skiing. The snow especially. And hot cocoa by the fireplace in the lodge. Mmmmmm. I have to go to the gym now and then do some homework. I really wish I could switch lives with you for a day. Ciao bello!