Monday, April 16, 2018

Rampage

Yesterday our electricity went out so Spouse asked me if I wanted to go to the movies.

I knew what he'd want to see if I said yes.  He likes all those action/disaster films like "Independence Day", "Jurrasic Park/World", "The Day After Tomorrow", "San Andreas", and of course the classic "Poesidon Adventure".

The weather was cold, windy, and rainy so I said yes and we went to see "Rampage".  Fortunately it was playing at our new Cube theatre which has a super big screen and like 150 Dolby speakers which cause the seats to vibrate.  Watch the HD trailer for "Rampage" below.
It was exactly what I expected.  Lots of cool special effects, implausible story lines, and unbelievable feats of human strength.  I mean, The Rock gets shot in the gut but since the bullet "missed all the vital organs", he goes on to fight in hand-to-hand combat, jump/fall from 30+ feet in the air, and survives what would have killed at least a dozen normal men. 

The synopsis is that 3 animals are accidentally exposed to a pathogen that causes rapid genetic modification.  The animals quickly quadruple in size and become aggressive and violent.  But The Rock is not trying to kill them all because one of the animals, George the gorilla, is his friend whom he's raised and taught sign language.

It was a fun movie and I must admit that I enjoyed it.  Its entertainment without the need to think deeply; pure and simple escapism from reality.  In this political climate I think we can all use a little escapism.


No comments: