Monday, July 15, 2013

Exchange

Spouse & I recently switched over to iPhones and my number was ported within minutes.  Spouse's number?  Not so much.

Both of us were porting numbers from different providers, and both providers were no-contract pay-as-you-go, so I knew the porting process was going to be challenging.  They told me it could take up to 24 hours, but after mine ported almost instantly I knew the delay with Spouse's number was a 'problem'.  The next day his phone was not activated so I had to call for help.  After only about 10 minutes on the phone with Verizon Wireless support, we figured out the problem.
 
Spouse's phone was an AT&T phone.  The guy at Wal-Mart accidentally gave me a Verizon iPhone and an AT&T iPhone.  I didn't realize it even mattered.  I thought that all iPhones were the same and that any number could be ported to it.  Not true.  The phones are manufactured for certain carriers and the way we determined Spouse's phone was on the wrong carrier is by the serial number.

So I had to take it back to Wal-Mart and exchange it for a Verizon wireless iPhone.  That entire 'exchange' process took an inordinate amount of time, but once I got the correct phone and the guy called in the number port, it ported almost immediately.

So now we both have working iPhones.  Mine is classic black, while Spouse's is white.

No comments: