Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memorial Day

When I think of Memorial Day, I know I supposed to think of this:
but instead, I think of this:
and this:

Before you jump to conclusions about how shallow and unappreciative I am, let me explain.

I grew up in the Jehovah's Witness religion which does not believe in participating in or supporting the military in any way. So my family and the families with which we associated never put flags on our porches or acknowledged the soldiers who paid the ultimate price for our country's freedom.

No, for us Memorial Day was a day off of school and work. It was a great opportunity to have a cookout and/or go to the beach. Now, I have NOT been a member of the JW religion for many years now, but some habits die hard. Like it or not, say "Memorial Day" and I think "cookout" and the unofficial start of beach season.

I am trying to retrain my thinking to be more appreciative of others' sacrifices, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy a nice grilled burger and some potato salad.

Crush du Jour: Bruno Cabrerizo

3 comments:

A Lewis said...

I think it's a varied combination of these things plus many others. It's a day of remembering, celebrating.

Jim said...

Like your honesty. Never realized the JW religion was anti-military.....not a bad thing at all, in my books.

Cubby said...

Marry me Bruno!!