Friday, June 08, 2007

New view

Well, the view from our kitchen, dining room and living room windows has changed dramatically in the last few minutes.

I heard the loud roaring sound of some kind of machinery so I looked to see what was going on. A guy on a John Deere tractor with a bush-hog type of attachment was starting to mow down all the 6-foot high weeds and saplings in the two lots adjacent to our house. I watched him for a few minutes, wondering what 'plans' may be in store that property.

The two vacant lots are owned by one of our neighbors on the street behind us. The 2 small lots are what separate their yard from ours. Our realtor told us they purchased the lots to prevent someone from building on them, but then they turned around and put 1 of the lots (the one that borders our property) up for sale. We momentarily entertained ideas of what we would do with the lot if we were to purchase it. It didn't take long for me to begin designing the structures in my mind. But the price they're asking for the lot is completely outrageous in everyone's opinion so we're no longer entertaining those ideas.

When I saw the tractor driver remove his sunglasses and wipe the sweat from his forehead and out of his eyes I decided to take him a glass of cold water. It was really hot AND humid today. He turned off the tractor and thanked me for the water, then asked if I was aware what was going on here.

I told him no so he told me the folks who own both lots contracted him to "clean up" the area. His first task was to mow down the weeds and saplings today. Next week he's coming back to apply Round Up to both lots (which seems to me to be the equivilent of pouring a thimble of water on a raging forest fire), then he's going to plant grass on the lot farthest from our house, which has no trees. Then he's going to bring in a TON of mulch to cover the lot with the trees, which boarders our lot. "Its going to look kind of like a park when its done" he said.

The funny thing is that I kind of liked the way it looked with all the growth! I know it was mostly weeds, but believe it or not, the growth really provided a visual buffer and had a very 'natural' look so I didn't mind it at all. I guess the new "park" will look nice too, but it will open up the view at the same time.


Drag Queen name of the day: Ann Articka

1 comment:

Bugsy said...

You'll also lose the shade from those trees. Bummer. There were trees, right?

Hey - are you guys watering in the morning?! Sorry for shirking my duties! ;-)