Friday, June 22, 2007

"Michael Tolliver Lives"

If the name of this blog hasn't clued you in, I am a huge fan of Armistead Maupin, the author of the "Tales of the City" series and several other novels.

Last year I purchased the only Maupin novel I didn't own, "The Night Listener" from Amazon.com. It was like $3. and it was in perfect condition, with the dust jacket, despite having been listed as 'used'.

I don't read a lot, but when I get interested in a book, especially one by Armistead Maupin, I have a hard time putting it down. I'll read for hours and hours, wanting to know what's going to happen next, sometimes even staying up well passed my bedtime. At the same time I'm eagerly devouring the book, I'm trying NOT to finish it. See, finishing the book means the story is over. So while I can't help myself from reading and reading, at the same time I don't want the book or the story to end. Such was the case with "The Night Listener".

A week or so ago I got an email from Amazon informing me that they had Armistead Maupin's newest book "Michael Tolliver Lives" for 33% under retail value, so I signed on and bought it. It arrived yesterday. I told myself I wanted it to last so I wouldn't begin reading it right away. I'd wait a few days to start it - maybe Sat I'd read some at the beach. So much for good intentions.
Spouse didn't feel like watching a DVD with me last night, so rather than watch it alone I decided to start the book.

All 6 of the "Tales of the City" series are written in the 3rd person and one assumes Armistead Maupin is the narrator. So, I had a little trouble adjusting to "Michael Tolliver Lives" which is written in the 1st person with Michael as the narrator. I kept picturing Armistead instead of Michael. Finally decided to read the book in a southern accent, since Michael had a southern accent in the movie verson of "Tales". It didn't take long for me to be transported to San Francisco, complete with 'visits' from other "Tales" characters like Brian Hawkins and Anna Madrigal.

In usual fashion, I read 111 of the 276 pages last night! And I said I wasn't going to do that. I was going to try and stretch it out. Oh well, what can I say? I'm a true fan.

Drag Queen name of the day: Ann Teak

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

That's how I felt with the last Harry Potter. I couldn't stop reading, but I didn't want it to end. Now I've signed up to get the final one when it comes out.