Monday, June 10, 2019

Yard sale update

Fri evening I loaded the remaining stuff into my SUV and could barely get the doors closed. I woke
up at 6:15 Sat morning, and was out the door by 6:30, travel coffee mug in hand.  

Although the yard sale wasn't officially to start until 8am, we knew from previous experiences that thirsty yard sale bitches will show up an hour early to get 1st dibs on the best stuff.  Sure enough, we weren't fully set up until about 7am (an hour prior to start time) and people were eagerly looking through our stuff.

Despite the volume of items I brought, none were worth much.  I had no furniture (which always sells well) and no pricey items.  The most expensive item I sold was $10.  I sold a total of $73 worth of items, all of which were under $5 except the one rug for $10.  A single guy bought our XL George Forman grill, a large electric griddle, a Turbo Cooker, and 2 partial sets of pots and pans.

But I felt a great sense of accomplishment as I cleared out so much room from the garage shelves, kitchen cabinets and bedroom closets.  

By noon the momentum was over and we were done.  I packed up what was left over and drove directly to a thrift shop where a lady pulled out what she would accept.  My next stop was my friend Paul's florist shop.  I donated back to him about a dozen flower vases that had come from his shop.  The 1 box I left had a couple odds and ends (small wicker baskets, plastic bowls, etc) and with no guilt at all I dumped into the trash can.  I figured if I couldn't sell those items for nothing at a yard sale and the thrift store didn't think they could sell them either, they weren't worth anything.  I was determined not to bring anything back into the house.

2 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

not a bad haul for a clean-out!

JanF said...

This is the right way to do it!
Congrats!