Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Shopping

This morning I went Christmas shopping for needy family at 7am!!

Our local realtors association had a benefit dinner to raise funds for needy families in the county.  The funds were divided up and paired with profile sheets for needy family members so we'd know what age, height, weight, and sex each child is when we were shopping.  The local KMart opened at 7am for us so we could shop for our families before going to work.

My friend Joey & I got a family with 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls, ages 6, 10, 13, and 15 and a budget of $435.  Between shopping the sales plus the extra 10% off non-sale items, Joe & I made a huge impact for our family!

Each of the 4 kids got:
  • a winter coat
  • a pair of shoes or boots
  • a set of sheets
  • a fleece throw/blanket
Then based on their sex, age, and 'wish list' we also got:
  • Barbie dolls
  • football and basketball
  • skateboard
  • jewelry
  • perfume
  • cosmetics
  • board games
  • remote controlled car
  • clothing
We tried really hard to get things we really thought they would like and be able to use while maximizing our budget.  It took us nearly 2 hours, but the satisfaction we received from this event was well worth the time spent.

Next week I will try and join the volunteers who will be wrapping all the gifts too.

2 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

that is so damn wonderful! (sniff)

I bet that family will be thrilled on 12/25. pity you cannot be there to watch the kids open their gifts!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I had this story and the pics above to calm me down from the mini-drama. I might have mailed them what they forgot.

Glad you had a nice day anyway!