Friday, March 16, 2007


On Mon I had to go to Richmond for a sales meeting and training. Previous posts are sufficient to describe my lack of enthusiasm for these trips, but just in case you've forgotten, I really don't like them. But for some reason, this trip was different.

I arrived Mon at 6:30 and planned to spend the rest of the evening in my room. The other team members usually go out and drink in a smokey bar. But as I was about to get onto the elevator I ran into my boss who instructed me to meet everyone in the lobby at 7:30 to carpool to a restaurant for a team dinner. I did, and on the way to the restaurant one of my team members said "So, you heard the CEO got canned, right?"

"Are you kidding?" I replied in genuine shock. As it turns out, part of the reason for this sales meeting and training was to announce that the Board had relieved the CEO, and to give us a chance to meet the new acting CEO (an executive consultant). At dinner my boss told everyone about this and suggested we think about any questions we wanted to ask at the next day's meeting. But more surprises were in store.

After Tuesday's formal announcement of the sacked CEO and the introduction of the new acting CEO, we found out that the sales team structure was also changing. No one was loosing their jobs; their products and sales areas were changing. My duties, products and sales areas did not change so this part was not nearly as dramatic for me as it was for others. They were all given a choice between 2 products and sales areas, along with 24 hours to report their decision. It was also announced that additional sales positions would be filled as soon as possible.

Later that evening the team once again went out for drinks and dinner. I thought I would stay a respectable amount of time and then head back to my room but I wound up staying out with the team longer than I expected. I was actually having a good time! I'm not sure if it was because we'd all been through such a wild day, or if it was because I finally let my guard down and just went with the flow. Or maybe, it was because the former CEO wasn't there.

On Wednesday we all met one at a time with my boss and his boss to discuss our goals and comfort level with all the changes, then worked the rest of the day from that office on our 'regular' activities. I got permission to leave at 3:30 since I had a 5 hour drive to make.

Wednesday's weather was incredible. In Richmond it was 80 degrees - outrageous for March 14. I put the top down on my car and drove all the way home that way. It was glorious! I didn't run into too much bad traffic and actually made it home in less than 5 hours.

Drag Queen name of the day: Tara Wrist

No comments: