Friday, August 26, 2005

Warantee

The other day as I was driving to work I heard a car commercial on the radio advertise "6 year or 60,000 mile powertrain warantee". At first thought, that sounds pretty impressive. But then I started thinking about what exactly is covered under that warantee.

The wording was "powertrain warantee". Therefore, if your muffler falls off, your transmission is shot, or your brakes fail - you know, the kind of things that really happen to people - the warantee does you absolutely no good.

"Powertrain warantee". Indeed, the only thing covered under that warantee is the powertrain. When was the last time you heard a co-worker say "Yeah, I was late to the office this morning cuz I had to drop my car off at the shop... powertrain problem." Never? Me either. In fact, I don't think I've ever, EVER heard anyone complain that their powertrain had gone out on them. So, essentially the "6 year or 60,000 mile powertrain warantee" is a warantee you'll never need. It just sounds good on a commercial.

We're heading to the beach after work today. Hope my powertrain is okay.

No comments: