Monday, May 04, 2009

Rainy days and Mondays...

For the last 6 days we've had rain, scattered showers, or drizzle. Looking at the forecast I see that for the next 6 days we have the exact same thing in store. How exciting! Its like living in Seattle or Portland, only without the progressive people.

This wet weather has put a 'damper' on the street reconstruction, or so says the engineering firm. There has been no work on our street in over a month, and they claim its because they're waiting for a "significant drying". I hate to be the one to inform them, but its Spring and that is when we get a fair amount of rain. Waiting for a "significant drying" in April/May is like waiting for roses to bloom in November. In other words, it ain't too likely.

This has been the condition of our street for the last 6 days, and will likely continue to be for at least the next 6 days:
This photo actually makes the street look much smoother than it really is. It is very uneven, with pot holes and lumps.

My neighbor is getting mixed messages from the city regarding the completion of the entire street project, which includes but is not exclusive to our street. Earlier was told the end date was this coming Fri. Now he's being told the project end date is June 27, but that the engineering firm feels confident they will finish much sooner than that, despite the rainy weather and the lack of work done on our street over the last month.

As you can tell by the tone of this, I am getting pretty frustrated. Every time I walk the dog, go to the mail box, put the trash out for pick up, or chat with my neighbors I must walk on the street, which is wet and muddy. And when its not wet and muddy, its dry and dirty and sandy. Either way, its made a mess of our shoes and cars.

I'm ready for it to be done.

Crush du Jour: Jared Leto



5 comments:

A Lewis said...

Progressive people....hehehe. I like that. And, say now, that street looks terrible.

Anonymous said...

I don't know. RI is fairly progressive but we have our pockets of assholes. I'd bet it is much the same in DE.

That said, if you want your street paved you need to attend a few town council or county seat meetings and make yourself a vocal representative of the people.

There is the old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Bob said...

Since taking a tumble in a parking lot pothole last week--and still being Gimpy McLimpsalot today--I have declared the pothole to be my mortal enemy!

cb said...

At the very least, the rain is keeping the dust down... Right?

Jeff said...

It's been damp here lately too. I feel for you! Hopefully we'll dry out soon!