Monday, February 15, 2010

Weekend highlights

You've heard the saying: "When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping", right?

Well, with Spouse & me both being sick for 2 weeks and with 3 major snow storms within 11 days, the going has been a bit tough about here. Spouse's office was closed 3 out of 5 days last week. Fortunately we'd stocked up on food and such and just didn't leave the house much.

So on Sat we decided to get out and go shopping. Our major purchase was a 5 cubic foot chest freezer. We'd been looking at them and comparing brands and cost for a while. So after deciding on one, we used a $100. American Express gift card from Christmas and a $40. gift card from a returned purchase toward our freezer and wound up paying just $28. for it. When the garage was being wired we'd requested an electrical outlet be placed near the door leading from the garage into the house so we could keep the freezer in the garage and easily access the food. We also restocked some household items (shampoo, razor blades, paper towels, etc.) while we were out.

After dropping off Spouse and the freezer, I got my hair cut. It had been 12 weeks since my last haircut (just before Thanksgiving). I'd been letting it grow out so I could have more choices for a new style. But I got to the point of feeling too shaggy, and since I have to meet my boss' new boss this week, I decided to get it cut. Its not very edgy or avant garde as I'd fantasized, but its short on the sides and back with a little more length on the top so I think I'll be able to style it a few different ways. God, it felt good to get that hair off my neck and ears!!

Sat evening we met Rick & Nick for dinner, then watched some of the Olympics before going to bed.

Sun I had a very relaxing morning reading blogs and drinking coffee while Spouse slept in. Eventually we both showered, dressed, and headed out again. We drove into Rehoboth Beach to look at the ocean, filled up the gas tank, and stopped at another store where we found cute green storage boxes to fit on the shelves in our closet. And they were on sale! I tried yet again to find a snow shovel to no avail.

Later that evening we met up with Steven & Thad and The Bobs for dinner. One of the Bobs had been in Mexico for nearly 3 weeks so it was good to see him again and hear some of his stories. We shared a variety of appetizers and then I had Panang Curry Chicken which was delicious. I also had their specialty martini for Valentines day: The chocolate cherry kiss, made with Godiva white chocolate liqueur and cherry vodka, with a Hershey's chocolate cherry kiss at the bottom. It was so scrumptious I had to have another! After dinner we went upstairs to the lounge where a guy was singing and playing the guitar. For Valentines day they had complimentary chocolate fondue with sliced strawberries and marshmallows, pink cupcakes, and decorated shortbread cookies. How sweet!

Spouse & I returned home and watched some more of the Olympics before bed.

It felt good to get out this weekend!

Crush du Jour: Craig Malozzi

5 comments:

Bob said...

Snowbound isn't a good feeling.
Not that we were snowbound here with just 7 inches on the ground, but.........=)

MadeInScotland said...

Sorry to hear you've been so poorly. I wish we had snow. Last year was so exciting.

We're getting excited about finding a house.....I've been reading your house stuff. Can't wait.

ahoj

John Going Gently said...

mark can u do a disaster film blog?

anne marie in philly said...

drooling like homer simpson over your sunday dinner/drinking delights!

the crush: meh.

robertga99 said...

Glad you were able to get out this weekend. Shopping always makes me feel better...especially when I get a great deal.
I wish I lived close enough to drive to the beach. Maybe one day