Friday, February 05, 2010

Friday fragments

Welcome to Friday fragments, my weekly recap of topics too big to forget, yet too small to be their own post.

Yesterday the National Weather Service replaced our Winter Storm Watch with a Blizzard Warning. Here in southern DE and also in southern NJ (across the bay) we are expecting blizzard conditions. Should be exciting! We stocked up on provisions (read: booze - just kidding) so we should be fine for a few days. The grocery stores are practically ransacked and there's not a snow shovel to be found anywhere. The local channels and even the cable Weather channel are working everyone up into a frenzy. Personally I'm on the verge of freaking out! (Insert heavy sarcasm here.)
Our friends Kerry & Hugh cancelled their visit this weekend due to the blizzard and because the Polar Bear Plunge has been postponed. Its just as well though, since Spouse & I both have colds.
Spouse stayed home from Team Trivia last night because of his cold. I'm not as sick as he, so I went. I have a feeling we will end up cancelling Fri Night Dinner with 'the usual suspects' tonight, although the snow hasn't started falling yet. But knowing what is to come will likely cause everyone to stay home.

One of the Newlyweds was on a business trip in LA and decided to do a little sightseeing. He sent me this photo, which warmed my heart!In case you're new around here, I absolutely adore Ella Fitzgerald. I saw her in concert several times and have many of her albums and CDs. Although I'm still waiting for a certain box set ordered from Amazon. Grrrrrrrr...

I have been enjoying Pandora internet radio lately. I normally don't listen to music while I work, but find I can still concentrate when doing repetitive tasks and listening. I find it weird though that you can't just pick a song you want to hear. If you type in a song name, it says it will select songs that are similar to it.

Lately there's been talk of a repeal of DADT, but first they need to 'carefully calculate how to integrate gays and lesbians without traumatizing the troops'. Personally, I find this insulting. Did they have to worry about traumatizing the troops when the first African Americans were admitted into the military? Or when women were first admitted? Yet somehow there's some chance that a soldier will freak out from sharing barracks with gay and lesbian soldiers. That's called homophobia. And hello?!?!? Gays and lesbians are already in the military! Straight soldiers are already sharing barracks with them. The repeal of DADT will simply prevent any more service members from being dismissed and losing their careers due to being gay.

The Super Bowl this Sun. (That's tennis, right?) A friend sent me this funny Bud Light commercial that is expected to be seen during the big match. I thought it was funny.

Crush du Jour: Mark Charles Ferrara

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Minneapolis the weather people LOVE whipping us into a frenzy. 99% of the time, we end up getting nothing, or nowhere near what was predicted. But people fall for it everytime.

tornwordo said...

I love Ella too and adored her in concert. I thought about you today when they were talking about the blizzardageddon. Hope you both feel better soon.

behrmark said...

You love Ella and I love Mark Charles Ferrara!! WOOF! GRRR! WOOF!

Oh, sorry. Where was I? Oh yeah. It's raining here in SoCal. For us that equates blizzard in your part of the country.

Did I mention I love Mark Charles Ferrara?

Anonymous said...

IM so upset... I wanna be totally screwed- but alas- Im part of the boat people. Its a cold rainy hot mess here in Raleigh. ( but we got our snow last wekeend, so now its your turn.)

have fun- and make sure got got lots of 'provisions". :)

anne marie in philly said...

there's no fur on today's crush - boo!

I would love to be a fly on the wall whilst you are playing team trivia...

and some of those guys in the beer commercial should submit their photos to sean's undie monday feature!

Mistress Maddie said...

Hope all is well with you two. I'm so behind in blog reading it isn't funny! You know, I always wondered why every snow storm there can never be a shovel to be found anywhere. What the hell do people do to these things when there done with them? It's not like we get that much snow. Just wondering. Enjoy the storm and keep warm!!!

A Lewis said...

Thinking of you boys this weekend! Be safe and warm.

robertga99 said...

I'm jealous! I love snow...LOVE IT!
I have friends in DC and they have sent me pics...it is crazy. I think they have over 20 inches now.
Stay in and Stay safe and warm and just enjoy looking at it.
:)

Jeff said...

Hope you got all stocked up! We have friends in D.C. right now - they were expecting spring there! They were supposed to fly back tomorrow, but I think that might be somewhat iffy right now!

Be warm and safe!

Anonymous said...

If Vancouver even gets a dusting of snow, the city comes to a virtual standstill. It's true, the road conditions become treacherous but it's not the snow that make it this way - it's the idiots steering their smart cars like they're semi trucks.

thislittlepiggy said...

I think it's about time that y'all shared in our winter. :-)

Stephen Chapman said...

Ella's voice was near perfection. I describe it like "honey". Dont ask me why - it makes sense to me!