Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Driving to Richmond

I'm working until noon today, having lunch, then driving to Richmond, VA where my company's headquarters is located. I'm not actually going into the office this afternoon, but having dinner with 2 colleagues and my boss' new boss, whom we've not met yet.

The dinner was certainly not my idea, but I have to go along with it so I will appear to be a "team player". I like my 2 colleagues well enough, but am a little anxious about having dinner with our boss' new boss. Since we're not in the office I'm sure he's going to want to "get to know" us, which makes me wonder just how much of myself to share with these people. I don't want to seem aloof or unfriendly, but to be perfectly honest I am not looking to be friends with these people. I have friends of my choosing, and have always felt there should be a healthy separation of my work life and private life. But in a situation like this (4 of us at a table) if you don't share, you may evoke suspicion. So I'm going to try and walk that tight rope of sharing just enough to appear to be participating, yet not so much that I feel like my privacy is compromised.

And this is not about revealing (or not) that I'm gay. I've been out at work for years, but since I don't work in an office with these people, the subject hasn't come up with most of them. One of my colleagues knows (and has probably told others) which is fine. Its just different than it was when I worked in an office with people, and saw them and talked to them everyday, and they would see the photo of Spouse & me on my desk. So hopefully we'll just have a nice dinner with conversation that isn't too awkward or uncomfortable.

I should probably expect to be asked those ridiculous questions upper management always seem to like to ask, such as "What motivates you?" and "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" I've been asked these questions several times, and I hate that sh*t. What do they expect you to say? I'm motivated by money? I'm motivated by attempting to make the world a better place? In 5 years I see myself being asked these same questions by your replacement? So I should probably think of some bullsh*t answers that don't sound like bullsh*t answers, just to be on the safe side. But for sure I will put on a smile and play nice.

I will drive my own (rental) car to dinner so I can (hopefully) meet up with
fellow blogger and Richmond resident Kelly after dinner. That will be just the opportunity I need to relax after dinner with my boss' new boss.

Crush du Jour: Jonathan Isaiah

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last place I worked, I got very close with my coworkers. It was a great group. One became one of my best friends. The current place I work, I have zero desire for these people to know anything about me. I hope your dinner goes okay!

Anonymous said...

Humor works. When asked about the five year plan I say that ultimately Ruler of the Universe would be a good fit, but since they asked I'd expect to be in their position in five years.

Jeff said...

Sigh... The things we do to get along in the working world... Hope all geos well!

behrmark said...

I feel your pain! I'm sure you'll find that "middle of the road" behavior that will alleviate any discomfort. Just remember: don't get snockered and avoid foods you eat with your hands. Good luck and Behr hugs!
PS: LOVE the crush.

anne marie in philly said...

behrmark can have the crush...not my type.

OMGOMGOMG...you are going to meet kelly...I am sooooo jealous!!!!! pix please!

Unknown said...

Good luck navigating dinner. I hate those questions too!

Unknown said...

it was nice chatting with you on the phone tonite... sorry we did not meet up after dinner... we will meet up on the next trip... if I have to drive to DE... hope all goes well for you tomorrow, you sounded like a very cool person as we chatted... Jeff and I look forward to meeting you the next go around...

robertga99 said...

I have been with my company for 20 years but just now starting to apply for jobs. I HATE going through those questions...YUCK!
Good luck today
drive safe
:)