Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cars

I'm working in the Richmond office today until about noon, then making the 5-hour drive back home to DE.

As you likely know, I consider myself a 'car guy'. I love cars, and have loved them since I was a small boy. I used to keep myself occupied for hours on end playing with my Matchbox cars. I also liked to look at car ads in magazines, and occasionally went to local auto shows. This may help to explain my longstanding fascination with cars and my desire to own cars like Big Ella, my BMW 325i convertible, and our newest Mercedes Benz SLK 230.

My company decided last year to have remote employees rent cars for their trips to the corporate office, rather than reimbursing us the government-mandated rate for mileage. That was fine with me, as it kept me from wracking up lots of miles on my personal car, AND it gave me an opportunity to drive different types of cars.

The only car rental place near me is Enterprise, and I have found them to be incredibly nice and accommodating. In November I reserved an intermediate class car but they offered me a free upgrade to a brand new 2010 Nissan Maxima.What a nice surprise! It was a nice car to drive and I enjoyed having the moon roof.

In Feb I again reserved the intermediate class and was upgraded to a 2010 Dodge Journey.
It was very windy but I found the Journey to be solid and sure-footed. I did not feel as if I were about to be blown off the road.

This week I got a Chrysler PT Cruiser. I've driven this model before when Spouse & I were visiting The Newlyweds in Portland. One of The Newlyweds has a silver PT Cruiser exactly like the one I had this week.
I found it to be comfortable and solid.

I believe I will be returning to Richmond again in early May so it will be fun to try out another new car.

Crush du Jour: Craig Reynolds

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 hours so I'll assume 60MPH for a distance of 300 miles one way, 600 miles total.

600 miles at what, about 31 cents a mile comes out to $186. So it makes sense, my business rental agreement with Enterprise is $43 per day unlimited mileage.

behrmark said...

I want to hear your assessment of driving Craig Reynolds. Woof and Grrr. Behr Hugs!

Cubby said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the Maxima. We have a 2001 Maxima that still behaves like it's brand new. It's the best car we've ever owned.

anne marie in philly said...

the crush has moobies and love handles...but the fur trim is nice.

have a great weekend!

PS - baby you can drive me car, and maybe I'll love you! (could.NOT.resist!)

Anonymous said...

Nice cars! Hope you have a great weekend.

cb said...

The last time I rented a car, I got a white PT Cruiser. I HATED it.

Plus, it took me about an hour to find the controls for the windows. Who puts the window controls at the bottom of the center console on the floor??

Kyle Leach said...

We love our cruiser. :)