Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday fragments

Welcome to Friday fragments, my weekly recap of topics too big to forget, yet too small to be their own post.

The weather has been wonderful this week, with lots of sunshine and temps in the 60s. What a welcomed change of pace. I was beginning to think Spring would never arrive here, and that ain't good. The weekend weather is supposed to be great, too. I'm pretty sure that convertible top will be down at some point.

My friend Michael (of the Newlyweds) sent me this, which cracked me up!

A friend sent me this article which really surprised me. I mean, I grew up just outside Washington DC and lived there for over 40 years so I know that DC is rather politically conservative. But the social conservatism and backlash against the Washington Post for putting a photo on the front page of a gay married couple kissing surprised me. Come on, people, its 2010. Full equality for GLBT is coming, even if it feels like its coming painfully slowly at times. The world changes and progresses. Marriage equality is just one sign of that progress. You can fight it or you can accept it, but its gonna happen. I suggest acceptance.

We received our census form this week, and I filled it out today. To identify the relationship between "Person 1" and "Person 2" I selected "Unmarried Partner". Then, to the right of "Unmarried Partner" I wrote "GAY", in all caps. I swear, if I had some rainbow stickers I would have stuck them on the form! I ordered one of those pink stickers from Queer The Census at least a month ago, but I never received it.

We're going back to VA to visit with the family and some friends this weekend. Its been about 6 weeks since our last visit. We're also looking forward to 'checking in' at a few stores there that we don't have here. And I've got a gift card - woo hoo! We're having brunch on Sun with Clark & Mike and Bugs & Roger, which should be tres fab.

I hope everyone has a terrific weekend!

Crush du Jour: Manolo Gonzalez

8 comments:

behrmark said...

I had completed my Census form and sealed it in the envelope when I remembered the sticker. I ordered it and was told 3 - 7 weeks. WTF? Oh well. I'm sure I've ticked them off with the race comments. Love the crush...no really. Behr Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Regarding the unmarried partner bit, you had to check off the sex of each person. So I'm reasonably certain they know if you're in a gay relationship.

I'll be interested to see what kind of data comes out of this census.

John Going Gently said...

I have stolen your pic of grandma barfing!
priceless

Anonymous said...

I ordered my census sticker but haven't gotten it yet. Hopefully soon!

Cubby said...

Help me I'm confused! Greg and I are legally married, recognized in some states and foreign countries, but not in Ohio. Are we supposed to mark "married" or "single" or what?

Mistress Maddie said...

I can't believe this weather either! I still think I must be dreaming or something. We got our census sticker a while back and slapped that sucker on there! Your right, it time to be counted damn it!

Java said...

I ordered my census sticker a while ago, and it came in the mail a week or two before we got our census. The shame of it all is that I forgot where I put it! You don't need to mail your census form off until April, anyway. Hang on to it, maybe your sticker will come. And maybe I'll find mine in the meantime!

Kyle Leach said...

Mark, I know it is probably too late to help you, but they do have a printable version of the sticker you can apply. Mine hasn't arrived yet at four weeks.

http://www.queerthecensus.org/atf/cf/%7Bb4180cd1-6286-4786-91ce-334a1146a25e%7D/queer_the_census_sticker.pdf