Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pouncer

I had to take Pouncer to the vet this afternoon. He was exhibiting the same symptoms as last Sept and last Dec when he was eventually diagnosed with a bacterial infection in his sinus.

I was happy to find that the 'low budget' vet's office had no strong animal smells this time and had received a minor make-over. All the circa 1979 furniture was gone from the waiting area and replaced with wrought iron-looking furniture with cushions. There was a new tile floor and the walls had been painted, making for a much more comfortable waiting experience.

Pouncer hates riding in the car (probably because he never goes anywhere in the car besides the vet) and moaned and growled the whole way there. Like last time, he would not come out of his carrier for the exam so we had to tip the carrier almost upside down to get him out. He must have been pretty stressed/scared/pissed off because he moaned, growled, and hissed at the vet assistant and the doctor. I tried to calm him by petting him and lightly scratching him in his favorite places, but he was only slightly distracted from his embarrassing behavior.

I was happy the vet took the time to read through all the notes from the past visit as well as the faxed records from the 'glamor vet'. When I offered that Pouncer was exhibiting the same symptoms and I suspected a bacterial infection in his sinus, she asked "yes, but why would he keep getting it?" Unfortunately neither of us had an answer. She confirmed with me that Pouncer was still an 'indoor only' cat and that there were no other cats in the house. Somewhat at a loss, the vet suggested we give Pouncer the same antibiotic as before, since it seemed to work before.

Typically I would be more curious and want to know more about why Pouncer gets bacterial infections. However, I am not eager to subject him to multiple traumatic car trips, stressful exams, and further expensive and inconclusive tests. He's 12 years old. As long as I don't have to take him to the vet more than 2-3 times a year, he responds to the medication, and I don't have to spend more than about $100. each time, I'll do that. But I'm not going to continue to stress and traumatize a 12 year old cat so I can have a concrete diagnosis. Medicine is called a 'practice' for a reason; sometimes they just aren't sure.

I have to give him the medication twice a day for 2 weeks. His symptoms should be much better (if not gone) by that time. In the meantime he gets extra love from his daddies.

Crush du Jour: Axel Brooks

9 comments:

behrmark said...

I hope the antibiotics work quickly and that Pouncer is all purrs again soon!

anne marie in philly said...

"meow mrup purr!" - message from my cat kids to pouncer. and bravo for not stressing out a senior kitty.

meh on the crush...although I DO like the outline inside the tighty whiteys...

David Dust said...

Awwww ... poor kitty!

Emmy kept getting the same kind of infections at one point - but the antibiotics always got rid of them.

XOXOXO

Deep Dish said...

Get well soon, Pouncer!

Bob said...

Carlos used to work in veterinary medicine, so I'll ask him if he has any advice for you.

Anonymous said...

Could it be from the construction? First the house and then the porch.

Peter Maria said...

My 16.5-yr-old little girl hates car rides too, but it is because she gets motion sickness. Throws up and everything. I've always had to fast her before our many moves (at one point in our lives, we averaged a new home every 6 mos.). So now our agreement is that, since she is an indoor kitty, no vet trips. In return, she agrees to remain healthy until she passes away quickly, quietly, and painlessly, in her sleep. Preferably not until I'm at least 40.

Sean may have a point about the construction; maybe dust from that activity irritated Pouncer's sinuses, leading into an infection. Also, geriatric animals, including people, have weaker immune systems.

Hope Pouncer gets all better faster.

Kyle Leach said...

Sending Pouncer good energy.

Bob said...

I spoke with Carlos and he said sinus infections are hard to get rid of permanently with pills or liquids, because they take such a long time, via bloodstream, to reach the infection.
He wonders if the vet suggested a misting medication that you actually spray into the cat's face--it doesn't harm them--and goes right into the sinuses.
Hope that helps, if it's not something you're not already doing.