Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Updates

Family drama
Although I felt like I wanted to be alone so I could sulk over Monday's family drama, it wasn't to be. Our friends Stephan & Wayne called and invited us to join them for dinner so we went and had a great time. I really laughed and laughed. It felt good to be with people and to release my emotions in a more positive way. Spouse says my family's treatment of me is horrible and that it will always be painful for me. No amount of time or years will "fix" it, and I believe he's right. Thanks to those of you who left such kind comments.

Finally, rain
The ground has been so dry that I returned to watering the grass a few days. We had a few thunderstorms last week, but the heavy rain in a short period of time did not quench the earth, it just ran off into the storm drains. But finally the drought is over. Sun, Mon, Tues, and today we've had periods of manageable, useful rain. I feel badly for those families who chose this week for their beach vacations.

Work
Work has been very slow the last few weeks; so slow that I have been really bored. Part of the slowness is just because its Aug, a time when lots of people take vacations. Another part of the slowness is because I am not managing as many clients as I used to. About 1 1/2 months ago our group was reorganized into supporting clients within verticals, so I had to give up many of my long-time clients who did not fall into my new vertical. I hope my salesperson signs up some brand new clients so I have steady work to do.

Hairspray
Spouse & I went to see 'Hairspray' on Sun with Rick & Nick and our visiting friends Greg & Gerry. I liked it overall. I thought newcomer Nicki Blonsky did a great job as Tracy Turnblad; she has a very nice singing voice and showed well on screen. I was surprised at how well Michelle Pfieffer was as Velma Von Tussle. All 6 of us agreed that the weakest performance in the movie was John Travolta as Edna Turnblad. He just looked like a man in a woman's fat suit. And although I'd give him an A+ for effort in mastering that distinctive and charming Baltimore accent, I wondered why the director allowed him to put on the accent so heavily when NONE of the other characters were doing the Baltimore accent. It felt disjointed. But overall I liked the film and found it entertaining.

Drag Queen names
I'm starting to run low on my list of drag queen names. If you'd care to share with me your favorites, or more importantly, your favorites that do not already appear on my blog, that would be much appreciated.

Drag Queen name of the day: Sheena D. Crime

No comments: