Friday, August 10, 2007

Cooking

I am not a 'bad' cook, but I would not call myself a 'good' cook either. I guess that would make me an adequate cook. I seem to have more success with baking than cooking.

Spouse is a very good cook. His grandparents immigrated from Italy and his parents were both born in America. They learned both Italian and American cooking. Spouse's father worked in a bakery as a teenager and Spouse learned how to make wonderful bread, pizza dough, and focaccia from his father.

Spouse learned how to make the best meatballs in the world from his aunt Rosie in Philadelphia. While the rest of the extended family was at church on Sun morning, Spouse would watch aunt Rosie make meatballs in her kitchen, smoking Camel straights, and listening to opera. He swears you can't duplicate the taste of aunt Rosie's meatballs without the cigarette smoke and opera music. Fortunately, everyone loves his meatballs just as much, even if they aren't an exact duplicate of aunt Rosie's.

It is unnecessary for us to discuss who will do what when we prepare to have people over for dinner. I know it is my job to clean the house and set the table, while Spouse knows he is responsible for cooking the meal.

But over the years as we've accumulated more and more kitchen gadgets and utensils, I've noticed Spouse seems to use more and more of them. Why does it take 3 pots, a skillet, 6 large spoons, 4 spatulas, a pair of tongs, 2 dinner plates, and a saucer to make spaghetti and meatballs? I'm sure I've made a 4-course meal with only half the paraphernalia.

And lord help him to use a spoon rest! He'd rather rest a stirring spoon on a folded paper towel or a saucer, for some odd reason. I'd suggested he use the spoon rest, which sits conveniently on the counter next to the stove. But he resists and says that a paper towel or saucer is fine.

Thank god for the dishwasher. I put everything except the pots and pans in the dishwasher, since they tend to come out spotty. Plus, they take up a lot of space, so I wash them by hand.

Drag Queen name of the day: Corey Ann Counters

1 comment:

Bugsy said...

I'm with you sister! What's with all the gadgets and getting everything all dirty!?

Of course the food is tasty!