Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Tuesday Twist

Yesterday Spouse & I took off work so we could go with Spouse's brother and sister-in-law to Cape May and Wildwood NJ via the ferry.

The ferry system is pretty cool. You drive your vehicle right onto the ferry, and then you can sit in the lounge or on the upper decks as the ferry crosses the Delaware Bay. It takes about 75 minutes and is a beautiful trip. We saw schools of dolphins jumping out of the water.

The ferry docks in Cape May, a beautiful seaside village full of gorgeous Victorian homes, hotels, and bed & breakfasts. We drove around for a while, gawking at the stunning architecture and wondering how much money people have to make to be able to afford these places. Then we parked and strolled down a pedestrian mall of little art shops, boutiques, and the like.

Ironically, Wildwood is the closest seaside town to Cape May, but is the polar opposite of Cape May. All the original structures in Wildwood appear to have been built around the same time, in the late 50s or early 60s. There are fabulous Jetsons-looking motels and stunning examples of mid-century modern ranch homes. Nothing Victorian about that. But sadly, many of the cool motels are being torn down and replaced with tacky, fake-Mediterranean condos. What a shame! Wildwood has a very long boardwalk with the typical boardwalk offerings: t-shirt shops, souvenir shops, games, arcades, soft pretzels, ice cream, funnel cake, water ice, and amusement rides.

It was easily close to 100 degrees and extremely humid. It seemed we'd walk 20 feet, then duck into a t-shirt shop just for the air conditioning, then walk another 20 feet and duck into a funnel cake shop just for the air conditioning. We got ice cream cones at one of our duck-ins, and it was so hot outside that the ice cream immediately began to run down the side of the cone. I kept licking the cone so as not to drip. I think that's the fastest I've ever eaten an ice cream cone! Fortunately it was too hot outside to result in a brain freeze.

We took the ferry back to Lewes and were really happy that the air conditioning was working. The morning ferry's a/c was either not turned on or was broken. It was a really enjoyable day, but it would have been even better if it wasn't so stinkin' hot and humid.

After returning home, all 4 of us showered and then had dinner at Striper Bites in Lewes. Our food was deliciously served in the air conditioned restaurant - the perfect end to our day.

Drag Queen name of the day: Maya Buttreaks

No comments: