Thursday, December 16, 2010

Holiday yummies

Yesterday I did some baking.

First I made sweet potato shuffle. This is a real favorite with our family. We have it at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. I made it yesterday to take to a potluck last night. Everyone loved it. Here's how to make it:

Mash two 40 ounce cans of sweet potatoes (I use Bruce's) in a large bowl. Add 1 cup sugar, 2/3 stick butter, 1 cup half-n-half (or milk), 4 beaten eggs, 2 tsp vanilla extract, and 2 tsp cinnamon. Mix thoroughly using an electric hand mixer. Spread into a greased rectangular baking dish.

Now for the topping: Mix 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1 and 1/2 cups chopped pecans (or walnuts), 1/2 cup self-rising flour, and 1/2 stick of very soft butter with a fork. Spread on top of the sweet potato mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. Stick a knife in the middle. If it comes out clean, its done.

Once I had the sweet potato shuffle in the oven I started on the no-bake cookies. These may have a name but I don't know it. I got the recipe from my friend Thad who got it from his mother's recipe box. The recipe was simply titled "Vi's cookies". If you know the name of these, let me know.

In a medium saucepan, mix 2 cups sugar, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 cup half-n-half (or milk), 1 cup softened butter over a medium heat until the all ingredients are dissolved. Remove pan from heat and stir in 1/2 cup peanut butter until dissolved.

In a mixing bowl mix together 3 cups quick oats and 2 cups coconut. Gradually pour liquid mixture into dry mixture while stirring. Be sure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Spoon mixture (or use a mellon baller) onto parchment paper covered cookie sheets. Place in the refrigerator until cookies are firm.

Let me know if you try these recipes and if you like them!

2 comments:

Ron said...

Sounds good, especially the recipe for sweet potatoes. Thanks for sharing!

Rick said...

The recipe sounds very good indeed. NO eggs huh? I'm going to try it.