Wednesday, January 25, 2006

TransAmerica

On Sun afternoon I went to see TransAmerica. Its about a male-to-female pre-operative transexual who is about to have the 'final surgery' when she learns she has a 17-year old son. I thought the topic sounded interesting, and then when Felicity Huffman won the Golden Globe award for best actress in a dramatic movie for her portrayal of Sabrina (Bree) Osborn, I knew I had to see it.

First off, I have to say that Felicity Huffman definitely deserved that award. I found her acting to be honest, believable, and not overdone.

I also found the treatment of this subject matter to be incredibly sensitive. It didn't show the character to be a victim or a martyr or any other cliche, but rather, a real person trying very hard to finally become on the outside the person she was on the inside.

Bree Osborn is advised by her therapist to see her troubled 17-year old son, and although quite reluctant to do so, she considers the task her last step before her big surgery. She also makes a stop at her parents' house and receives various degrees of welcome from her mother, father, and younger sister.

The film doesn't have a 'Hollywood ending' where everything works out perfectly, but it does leave you feeling hopeful.

I think this is one of the best films I've seen in a long time (better than Brokeback Mountain), and I would definitely recommend that everyone see it.

No comments: