Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Falwell falls

Everyone's heard the news: Jerry Falwell has died.

When I was talking to my aunt I said "Well, there's one less opponent to equal rights in the world now." She said "You put it much more kindly than I would have. I was going to say that there's one less ignorant bigot causing trouble now". We're both right, I guess.

I try not to wish bad on anyone, even those I feel deserve it. But I was reminded how terribly Falwell behaved in the months after Sept 11, 2001 when he blamed that tragedy on homosexuals and women who have abortions, saying God was paying us back. If that's true then I wonder how the families of the heterosexuals and women who've never been pregnant who died on Sept 11 felt?

For sure Falwell is not the only one who is misguided. Fred Phelps claims that Jerry Falwell is going to Hell instead of Heaven because he preached "God loves everyone" and Phelps says that's not true. http://www.godhatesamerica.com/ God help us. Really.

Drag Queen name of the day: Clara Path

No comments: