Friday, August 22, 2014

Make my day

About a year and a 1/2 ago I wrote about how some stranger made my day by paying for my lunch when I'd forgotten my wallet.  The experience made me feel terrific all day long, and I told myself I would 'pay it forward' whenever I could and hopefully make someone else's day.

A few month's later I overheard the secretary from another office in my same building talking to a colleague about having a hard week.  A sick dog, unexpected and expensive vet bills, etc.  She was just not having a good week.

So I got a yellow post-it note and wrote "Smile!  Someone thinks you're terrific" on it, and stuck it to a $20 bill and slipped them into a plain white envelope.  When I saw the secretary leave the office, I slipped the envelope under her closed door.  I felt jazzed, as I imagined my little random act of kindness putting a smile on her face.

Just the other day I was treating myself to some delicious frozen yogurt at SnoYo when a young Latino couple came in with their 2 adorable kids.  The little boy was probably 3 years old and the little girl was younger.  They both squealed with excited as their parents topped their frozen yogurt with all kinds of things.  When the 3 year old was handed his cup by his mother, he said "Thank you".

The lighbulb went off in my head.  When I finished my cup of frozen deliciousness, I went to the register and asked to buy a gift card.  After paying for it, I asked the girl behind the register to do me a favor by waiting until I left and then giving the gift card to the young family.  Again, I think my little random act of kindness gave me as much joy as it gave the recipients, although I didn't see them receive it.

So, if you're feeling down or are having a bad day, perform a random act of kindness for someone else.  You'll make their day and yours at the same time.

1 comment:

anne marie in philly said...

words of wisdom, dear. think of how much better the world would be!