Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Happy birthday Marvin!

It hardly seems possible, but a year ago this week we brought Marvin Parker home to join our family.  The time has passed so quickly!  Since we don't know Marvin's birthday, we are celebrating his adoption day as his birthday.

It has been a wonderful year.  Marvin quickly adjusted to us, and we to him.  He goes right into his "house" (crate) without coaxing when both Spouse & I are going to be out of the house.  He's very smart and knows the difference between his toys.  If I ask him "Where's your rope?" he will bring me the rope, NOT a different toy.

He loves it when we play 'tug of war' with his knotted rope.  If I stop tugging, he will drop the rope in my lap.  When I go to pick it up, he quickly grabs it and playfully growls at me.

He also loves playing fetch.  I will throw his knotted rope from the sofa in the TV room into the foyer and Marvin tears off like a bolt of lightening to retrieve it.  We could repeat this 100 times before he'd tire of it.  

If I pretend to ignore him, Marvin will poke me with a paw as if to say "Hey Dad, I'm here - ready to play!"

He has brought immeasurable love and laughter to our lives and I look forward to many more years to come.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah so cool! Congrats on adopting as opposed to buying from a breeder.

And he looks like he's a Chihuahua. They're pretty cool dogs. And they are ALL dog.

I wish I could have one but life here doesn't lend itself to a dog. Between schedules and allergies it's a no go.

anne marie in philly said...

happy birthday marvin parker! such a handsome boy! animals add a touch of serenity to a hectic life.

I too celebrate my cat's birthdays on their adoption day. nyla was 6 on 4/29 and meredith will be 11 on 8/5.

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a cutie pie!!! Marvin is awesome! And smart, too.

I miss my Bullwinkle, but it might be awhile before I get another one. Sure as heck though, it'll probably be a Marvin-style puppy! Hope if I get one he's as smart (and cute) as yours!

Peace <3
Jay

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

I'd love to feature him this week as my reader of the week on dogably pawfect saturday. Better would be to have a pic of him with one or both of his daddies!

Ur-spo said...

many happy returns to the little lad!

Ron said...

Thank you for rescuing Marvin from the animal shelter. You are indeed blessed.
Retired in Delaware

Java said...

What a wonderful companion you are for each other! He looks like a wonder dog, for sure.

Rick said...

It is hard to believe that it's been a year. I know you're good daddies. Marvin is so lucky!