Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Going green

I've written several times about easy ways of 'going green'.  "Reuse, reduce, recycle" is my mantra.


From reusing construction materials, to cleaner alternative energy sources, to recycling everything the City will allow, I believe it is all worthwhile, even if some of it takes a little extra time or effort.

My latest 'green' technique involves how I take my lunch to work.  Since I usually make a sandwich, I used to put it into a name-brand plastic bag that zipped closed.  I started to feel guilty throwing the bag away each day after eating the sandwich.  For a while I washed the bag out, left it to dry, and reused it again the next day, but this became more and more inconvenient as there was no 'good' way to dry the bag.  It was becoming quite labor-intensive.

So I switched to a smaller, thinner plastic bag that not only used less plastic, but also cost less.  This worked well and I felt less guilty throwing away the smaller, thinner plastic bag knowing it took less to create it.  Still I wanted to find an easy, convenient way to produce even less trash for the landfill.

Then I discovered this:
Its a square plastic, resealable, reusable sandwich storage box.  It is extremely easy to wipe the inside of the box with a damp sponge and dry it with a dish towel in just seconds.  Once a week I toss it in the dishwasher to sanitize it.  It keeps my sandwich (or left overs from dinner) fresh and creates NO trash going into the landfill.

I love that I have eliminated roughly 22 plastic bags from going into the landfill every month, and that the effort to do so was minimal.  

Reusing, reducing, and recycling are a way of thinking as much as a way of behaving.

2 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

spouse has always used microwaveable containers for his leftover hot foods/soups and similar sammich keepers. those get put into the dishwasher at night.

he also purchased an insulated bag with a removable cold pack; the pack gets placed in the freezer each evening and each morning is inserted into its special slot in the bag.

no plastic bags, no brown paper sacks.

he also reuses plastic utensils we have picked up in our travels. these get put into the dishwasher at night.

I can never understand why people whine "oh it's sooooo haaaard to recycle". it's not; you have to think first, plan second, and execute third.

PS - I roll out the recycle wheelie can every week; the wheelie trash can is rolled out once a month. BOO YAH!

Ur-spo said...

I am crackers for recycling and such - good for you!