Monday, July 05, 2010

(Long) Weekend highlights

The construction guys worked hard to get the porch screened before they quit working on Fri. Bugs & Roger arrived on Fri at 12:30, but unfortunately I had a conference call at 1:00 so I couldn't go out to lunch with them. They had lunch and shopped at the tax-free outlet malls. When Spouse got home they returned from shopping and we chatted until it was time to leave for Fri Night Dinner with 'the usual suspects'. After dinner, we sat on the newly enlarged screened porch and talked until bedtime.

Sat morning Spouse went to his personal trainer appointment while Bugs & Rog and I chatted over breakfast, then walked to the farmer's market. It was pretty hot but the humidity was low so it was nice in the shade. They got tomatoes, cucumbers and baked goods; I got a gorgeous bunch of cut flowers. Bugs & Rog helped me sweep the screened porch and bring in the tables, chairs, and lounge furniture. When Spouse returned and showered, the 4 of us had lunch and then walked to the art show. Two friends were exhibiting, and we enjoyed looking at everything. Then Spouse & Roger went to the grocery store while Bugs & I went to the Dollar Store and liquor store. 'Divide and conquer' was out motto. Later Steven & Thad and Joe P came over for dinner and we had our 1st meal on the new, enlarged screened porch. We had peppercorn pork tenderloins, orzo with oven roasted veggies, romaine salad, and fresh tomato and cucumber slices. For dessert we had a fruit salad of watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries and blueberries. Although it was very hot earlier, it was a gorgeous night for being outside.

Sun morning it was very hot again so we had breakfast and just hung out indoors. Spouse & I dropped Big Ella off for a wash 'n wax and when we got back we all had lunch. Then we walked to the canal to watch the decorated boat parade. We brought Big Ella home and we went to a neighbor's cocktail party, but couldn't stay long because we had to get ready for the Doo Dah parade. (For an explanation and photos of the Doo Dah parade, click here.) Spouse doesn't like to be the center of attention so he watched the parade with Rick & Nick from their usual post at our friends Mike & Steve's front porch, right on the parade route. Bugs & Roger had never experienced the Doo Dah parade but were game to give it a try. I'd purchased bags of penny candy for them to toss at the kids along the route and we all had a great time. Big Ella was duly adored by everyone and received many cheers and rounds of applause. Unfortunately we have no photos since our camera was acting up again. After the parade, Spouse and Rick & Nick met me and Bugs & Roger back at the house for a 4th of July cook-out on the screened porch. We had hamburgers, bison burgers, bison dogs, cheddar brats, potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans, and sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. Just before it got dark we grabbed our beach chairs and walked to the beach to watch the fireworks. Our city doesn't need to have a budget for 4th of July fireworks, as a dozen or so citizens have taken it upon themselves to furnish them. For about 90 minutes the public is treated to a free fireworks display that spans a couple miles up and down the beach. It was a beautiful night!

This morning Bugs & Roger left just after breakfast and we joined Steven & Thad, Joe P, The Bobs, and Alisha & Jack at the beach. Again it was very hot out but low humidity, and there was a cool breeze coming off the ocean so it was very pleasant. We laughed and talked and I couldn't believe how quickly the time passed. Upon returning home, Spouse & I had a late lunch consisting of last night's cook-out left overs. He's napping now.

It was a terrific holiday weekend, and I feel very fortunate.

Crush du Jour: Noah Mills


anne marie in philly said...

what a wonderful weekend you had!

Anonymous said...

stop eating