Sunday, June 01, 2008

'Sex and the City', the movie

On Sat Spouse & I went to see 'Sex and the City', the movie with Rick & Nick and a hundred or so other gay men we didn't know. The men outnumbered the women in the theatre and in line for the next showing by at least 10 to 1, but it was Rehoboth.

The 4 of us loved, loved, LOVED it!

I'm not going to give you a plot synopsis because frankly, most who read this blog will likely see the movie. If you really liked the TV show, then you will love the movie.

I had 1/2 a mind to show up at the theatre with a Cosmo in my hand, but was pretty sure I'd be told to finish it before being allowed to enter the theatre.

I was really happy to see that each of the 4 ladies' personalities was congruent from the TV show to the screenplay. It has frustrated me in the past when I've read books that became movies and the characters' personalities and appearance were very different.

For instance, in the book "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" the main character Sidda Lee had wiry red hair. It was a big thing in the book, and Sidda Lee talked about her disappointment with her hair often. But in the movie Sidda Lee was played by Sandra Bullock who did not wear a wig, so she had straight dark brown hair.

And in the book "The Night Listener" the story takes place in San Francisco, but in the book it takes place in New York City.

I guess this is because most of the time the authors of the books are not the ones to write the screenplay for the movie. But for 'Sex and the City', the TV show writers did write the screenplay, so the movie simply felt like an extension of the TV show.

I was happy that the movie was nearly 2 1/2 hours long. Whenever I pay to see a movie at the theatre and its only 90 minutes long I feel a little jipped, but not with 'Sex and the City'.

I had tried hard not to expose myself to the photos and video clips that could be found on imdb.com and YouTube. I knew from the trailer that Carrie was going to marry Big, but I really wanted the rest of the film to be as much of a surprise as possible. This proved to be a good strategy, because as the film progressed I felt like I was living it/going through it with them. Also, several 'fake' public scenes were filmed so that New Yorkers witnessing the filming wouldn't know the actual plot.

The 4 actresses looked as if they hadn't aged at all since the TV show, which was amazing. And all of the supporting characters like Christopher Noth (Big), Mario Cantone (Anthony), Willie Garson (Stanford), Lynn Cohen (Magda), David Eigenberg (Steve), Evan Handler (Harry), and Candace Bergen (Enid) returned, some in major plot lines and others as cameos. Candace seemed to be the only one who showed any sign of age. And Jennifer Hudson did a great job as Louise, Carrie's personal assistant.

The clothes, the shoes, the hair - none of them disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if this film gets nominated for an Oscar for best costume design. Here is Carrie in her Vivian Westwood wedding gown, which was delivered by courier with a hand-written note from Vivian herself.

Go see this very enjoyable film!



Crush du Jour: Jesse Brune

4 comments:

David Dust said...

I MUST go see Sex and the City! Every blog I have read said it was fantastic - unlike some of the mainstream media reviews.

I can't wait...

cb said...

Not to shit on your parade or anything, but I have less than zero desire to see this film. Ever.

And I've never set a Cosmo to my lips either.

Bugsy said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed the movie! It would've been great to show up with a Bluepomme Cosmo!

Lovin' Jesse Brune! Grrr!

RAD said...

The clothes, the shoes, the hair - none of them disappointed- ditto! Loved it too.