Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The "big day" approaches

Friday, May 26 = the "big day".

May 26 is my favorite aunt's birthday. She'll be 62 this year, but she has a very 'young' personality.

May 26 is Joe's parents' wedding anniversary. If Joe's father were still alive, his parents would be married 54 years on Friday.

May 26 is mine and Joe's anniversary of when we met/started dating/living together. (We don't waste time.) This Friday it will be 10 years.

TEN YEARS! Ten years for a gay couple seems outstanding. Ten years for any couple is outstanding when you consider that 1/2 of all marriages in the US ends in divorce. My assumption has always been that since gays can not marry (at least in 50 of the 52 United States) many do not invest as much in a relationship that appears to be souring. For married folks, it takes a lot of work to end a relationship. It costs time and money to divorce. But gays can pack their Louis Vuitton luggage and walk out the door whenever they want. Now, I'm not trying to say that's what all or most gay couples do when the going gets tough. I'm simply saying that without the legal connections of marriage, gays seem to be able to 'move on' more easily, and do. That, of course, is just my opinion, based on no factual information what-so-ever. But I digress.

I'm quite proud that Joe & I have been together for 10 years. It was my desire to share this 'accomplishment' of sorts with our friends and family by having an anniversary party. But after several discussions with my other half (NOT my better half) we've decided not to have a party.

But on Friday evening we will do something just as wonderful and 'celebratory'. We're having dinner with Michael and Jamie (aka The Newlyweds, because they actually ARE married in the state of Massachusetts) and then the 4 of us are going to the beach for a 3-day Memorial Day weekend.

You can bet there'll be some celebrating going on!

3 comments:

Bugsy said...

Congrats to both of you! 10 years is a long time! I agree with your thinking on the marriage thing.

I think it means so much more that we same sex couples that continue to make our relationships work deserve a lot of credit and kudos. We deserve marriage (if we choose).

We deserve the benefits of establishing strong lasting relationships which are the foundation of a community. Especially because we have to work so hard at it.

So congratulations and way to go!

Hugs and kisses!

Bugsy

Joel said...

AWESOME and a belated congrats on 10 years! Impressive!!!

Mad Cabbie said...

I am a cabbie in dc, and I find gays to be the best riders over all.

Congrats.