Friday, July 06, 2018

Nervous tick

Last Sat I was showing homes to new clients and we looked at a home that was bank-owned.  "Bank-owned" is a nice way of saying it was a foreclosure.  Since no one has lived there in a while the yard has not been maintained.  Banks will occasionally pay someone to mow if they get a letter from the HOA saying the grass is too high, but in this case the home was not within an HOA so the grass had not been cut in a while.

While still showing homes I noticed a tick on calf so I removed it with a tissue.  Of course the rest of the day I was nervous and kept checking my legs and arms every time I thought I felt something.  A few hours later when I got home and was changing my clothes I found another tick on my upper thigh!  I removed that one too, then stripped and made Spouse check me for any additional ticks.  Fortunately he didn't find any others.

Then on Mon I was showing homes to 2 nurses so I asked them if there was any kind of after-care I should do after finding 2 ticks on me.  They suggested seeing my doctor for a Lymes disease test, so I got an appointment for Tues afternoon.  My doctor said the Lymes test is not conclusive, and that a negative test result wouldn't mean I didn't have Lymes.  He said people have tested negative but then developed Lymes weeks/months later.  Instead of the test, he suggested I just go ahead and take the special antibiotic they would prescribe if I had Lymes disease.  This kind of made sense to me, to treat as if I had it just to be on the safe side.

So now I'm taking the antibiotic twice a day for 21 days, just to be sure I don't develop Lymes disease or any other tick-borne illness.

2 comments:

Breenlantern said...

Crap! Better safe than sorry, but sorry for the scare!

anne marie in philly said...

"stripped and made Spouse check me for any additional ticks" - I bet spouse (and you) enjoyed that (tee hee).

seriously, the ticks are no laughing matter. the bank really needs to get the grass cut on that house. better safe than sorry when it comes to lyme disease.