Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Going to the dogs

At this time of year there are lots of opportunities to help those less fortunate.  I shy away from 'national' charity organizations as I'm never sure how much of the money goes to the actual 'cause' and how much pays for CEO salaries, so I try to give and act locally.

I usually reserve some time to shop and wrap Christmas gifts for the needy, donate canned and dry goods to the local food bank, and purchase a few toys for the local Toys for Tots drive.  In addition to those things, I tried something new and different this year.

When inviting friends to our tree trimming party, I shared that we would be accepting donations for the Delware SPCA.  I suggested that my friends take this opportunity to de-clutter their linen closets and donate unneeded towels, blankets, etc.  I also included a link to the SPCA's "wish list".  I came up with this idea when I realized that our local shelter receives NO federal funding and that it provides its rescue, care, and adoption services primarily from local donations.  Our wonderful Marvin came from this very shelter, so I decided to help give back.

My friends really came through!  We collected cash, lots of towels, blankets, brushes, toys, bathroom rugs, bags of food and treats, food/water bowls, and even a plastic kiddie pool.  I was so pleased with the response!  It really warmed my heart.

Next it was my turn.  I went through the laundry room and gathered 24 towels, 2 blankets, 4 bathroom rugs, and 6 bed sheets I could live without.  (Most were from when we used to have a beach house.)  The donations filled the cargo area AND back seat area of my SUV!  When I asked the shelter volunteers for some help unloading they were amazed at the volume of useful items which would serve a much greater purpose at the shelter than in our laundry rooms and linen closets.

This cost me literally nothing but the time to sort, pack and deliver the items that were just taking up space in our home, but I felt so good when I experienced the gratitude of the volunteers for the donations.  So I encourage all of you to consider doing something similar.  The next time you host a birthday party, suggest that party guests bring donations for the local charity of your choice.  A small effort and cost for us can have a huge impact on those less fortunate.

3 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

I too do alot with our SPCA. Breaks my heart to see so many animals unwanted.

anne marie in philly said...

happy furkids, happy human hearts!

Fearsome Beard said...

Yippee! Big hug and kiss to you for your initiative to get your friends in on helping out.