- They all wear scarves. Every single one of them. We tried to find a Parisian NOT wearing a scarf but couldn't do it. Parisians love scarves. That is a fact.
- They wear uber-fashionable coats. While riding the subway and walking the streets I noticed that no one was wearing a 'basic' coat. Everyone's coat was stylish, detailed, almost unique. I didn't see a single person wearing a coat that looked like it came from a chain retail store.
- They have embraced the skinny-leg pant. Everyone under the age of 60 was wearing skinny-leg jeans or pants. Straight and gay; man and woman.
- Men shave once every 10-14 days. While some men had full-on beards and a few were clean-shaven, the vast majority of Parisian men had scruffy facial hair that appeared to be several days' worth of growth.
- They like good leather shoes. As much as Parisians walk, I was surprised at how few people I saw wearing sneakers/athletic shoes. The majority of men and women were wearing nice-looking leather shoes, even with jeans. Many of these had an exaggerated pointy toe which I liked.
- They're not mean to Americans. We were treated nicely by everyone we can into contact with in Paris. At one point early in the trip I thought the waitress might not like us because she wouldn't bring us our check. After finishing our meal we waited and waited for her to drop off our check. But I later learned that was because we hadn't asked for the check.
- Parisian men look like metrosexuals, at least to Americans. Several times I saw good-looking, well-groomed, stylishly-dressed men and perceived them to be gay, only to then witness their girlfriend/wife sit on their lap, lean over and kiss them, or hold their hand.
- They are weight/height appropriate. We did not see many overweight people at all. 99% of the Parisians we saw appeared to be healthy, perhaps due to all the walking and/or the smaller size of the meals.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Spouse & I enjoyed our trip to Paris very much. In addition to seeing/visiting so many beautiful places, I also did quite a bit of people-watching. Below are my observations about Parisians: