Thursday, March 03, 2011

Decisions, decisions

So, assuming I pass the state and national board exam the 1st time, I'll be given a form that represents my license. (They don't give you your actual license.) Once you've selected a brokerage firm with which to affiliate, you give the form to the broker of the firm and they send the form and some other paperwork to the Real Estate Commission. The Commission reviews and approves the license request, then sends the actual license to the broker who must then display it in the brokerage. That's how the process of getting the license works. The license is sent to your brokerage, not to you.

So in addition to going to school and, more recently, studying for the state and national board exam, I've also been doing due diligence in an attempt to select the right broker and brokerage with which to affiliate. I've had multiple conversations with multiple parties, and let me tell you, it ain't easy. There are pros and cons to all of them. There are so many different things to consider.

Hopefully I will have all the data I need to make an informed decision soon, since I'm taking the exam next Tues. I'm anxious to get to work!

2 comments:

Mind Of Mine said...

I wish you the best of luck in this new avenue you are exploring.

D said...

In my experience of being with several firms... you need to figure out your area... and go with an established firm that knows the name of the place in that area. People tend to go with who they know. On the flip side, the real estate business is about 90% of the contacts that you make yourself, so it doesn't matter who you go with. The only benefit is that in the beginning, when you're doing your floor time and hoping for a buyer or seller to call, that a busier place will increase those odds. You also have to look at what the office costs are. Remember, you can always change places... nothing's set in stone.