Wednesday, August 09, 2017

DIY

This is our laundry sink, logically located in the laundry room, next to the washer and dryer:
before
We primarily use the laundry sink for bathing Marvin & Walter.  Neither of them really like getting a bath.  Marvin tolerates it better and doesn't give us as much trouble as his brother.  Walter will make multiple attempts to try to escape the laundry tub, causing lots of splashes.  Both of them have gotten better with this, but between them and Spouse wrestling them to keep them in the sink, there can be lots of water splashed on the wall behind the sink.

I'd seen in the Lowes and Home Depot self-adhesive vinyl back splash tile, and since they're waterproof I thought this would be a great application.  Its WAY less expensive than actual tile and doesn't require grout or much skill level to apply.  But Spouse & I weren't happy with the color options found in Lowes and Home Depot, so I decided to look on Amazon.

Oh.  Em.  Gee.  Amazon had literally hundreds of colors and shapes of vinyl tile sheets.  And they were less expensive than the bricks and mortar stores.  So after surfing through a bunch of the options, Spouse & I agreed on a brightly colored mosaic.  Since the laundry room door is always closed and nobody goes in there but us, we weren't concerned with the color of the back splash coordinating with other colors in the house.  This gave us creative freedom to do something bright and fun.  
after
The sheets of vinyl tile came from Amazon in 2 days and it took me less than 10 minutes to 'peel and stick' them.  I used 6 of the 10 sheets so I've got 4 sheets leftover for other projects, although I can't think of any right now.

Oh, and the cost?

$19.99 with free 2-day shipping since we're Prime members.

I'm super happy with the value, the look, and the ease of installation.

1 comment:

anne marie in philly said...

oooooooooooh, pretty! pity they didn't have a rainbow tile set; this comes close though.