Monday, December 05, 2016

Busy weekend

Wow, what a full weekend!

It actually started on Fri evening, as I left work early and met up with 2 friends to sing Christmas carols (in costume) at a charity event.  I love Christmas music so it was fun, and I saw lots of friends.
Rick, Magnolia Applebottom, and me in our caroling costumes
Then I met up with Spouse & Steven for a late dinner.

Sat I worked until 3:30, then ran home to change clothes and get Big Ella lined up for the Christmas parade.
While this parade is always popular, this was probably the best-attended I can imagine.  I've never seen so many people crowded into our fair little hamlet.  No doubt the moderately cool temperature and the absence of rain were contributing factors.  I saw lots of friends and even several clients as I inched down the main street.  After the parade, Spouse, Steven & I had a quick dinner and then I headed to perform in the holiday Legends Show as Elton John.  I got home about 11:45pm and after talking to Spouse, we decided to begin making some of the food that night for our party the following day, so we didn't get to bed until shortly after 1am.

Sun morning we met Steven for breakfast, picked up a cake, and then returned home to prepare for our annual Christmas tree trimming party.  Spouse picked the menu this year:
  • Greek-style beef sliders with hummus and tzatziki
  • Pork sliders with hot mango chutney
  • Curried chicken salad sliders with cranberries, apple, and pecans
  • Homemade potato salad
  • Homemade bowtie pasta salad
  • Peppermint bark dip with cookies
  • Coconut layer cake
The holiday table, before the 2 salads were added

We made everything ourselves except the cake and it all turned out great.  We had 16 friends who joined us for food and hanging the ornaments on the tree.  Since it was only in the 40s out we were able to have a fire in the fireplace which, along with the Christmas music, added some nice ambience to the evening.  We had a great time and the tree looks gorgeous!

When the last guests left Spouse & I packed up the left-overs, emptied the trash and collapsed on the sofa with the dogs.  They did really well with the house full of people and activity!  Even Walter who usually teases people with his cuteness but doesn't let them touch him, allowed some people to pet him last evening... a Christmas miracle!  The boys were exhausted and both were asleep within minutes of settling in on our laps.  We watched the season finale of 'WestWorld' and went to bed.

5 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

Mark....your tree looks stunning darling!!!! Your weekend sounds much like mine. It has been nuys ever since I had lunch with Anne Marie. I adore Magnolia .......she is one of the best queens to hit Rehoboth in recent years. I suspect she'll be on Drag Race real soon, if she has applied. She is a complete hoot.

anne marie in philly said...

I wanna come to your house for such splendid food! do you think spouse would share his chicken salad recipe? and you look like a proper british gentleman in your costume!

@maddie - nuts? did someone say nuts? I like nuts! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your party menu sounds and looks delicious. The tree is beautiful as well. I like your picture of Big Ella. Did Nick attend your party? (LOL)

Happy Holidays,

Calvin

Ur-spo said...

Indeed. I thought you looked quite dapper.

Fearsome Beard said...

Beautimus tree!