Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Montreal road trip: part II

Sat morning we met up with Tornwordo (Serge had school) and walked to the Old Port.  It is easily recognizable as the oldest part of the city and distinctively different with its beautiful old architecture, narrow cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages, and romantic feeling.


We had a late breakfast/early lunch at olive + gourmando, a cute and popular spot.  The menu is creative and I couldn't resist the Viva Las Vegan.
I normally don't eat tofu because of its texture, but this combination of ingredients made me go for it.  It was delicious!  Next we walked around Old Port and took in the sites, including the Notre-Dame basilica, St Lawrence riverfront, and the Jacque-Cartier bridge.
Notre-Dame basilica

Spouse in the Old Port


Time for a selfie!

St Lawrence riverfront with Jacque-Cartier bridge in the distance
I managed to pick up an adorable Chihuahua Christmas tree ornament as a souvenir of our trip.  I can't wait to hang it on our tree this year.

Next week took the transit bus to Marche Jean-Talon, a large indoor/outdoor farmers market.
Spouse at Marche Jean-Talon
Beautifully colored cauliflower
Then we took the subway to the Olympic Village, home of the 1976 Olympic games where Bruce Jenner and Greg Louganis both won gold medals.  We visited the stadium/pool, planetarium, and Biodome.
Olympic stadium

Another view of the stadium

Enormous pool
Then the 3 of us met Serge at Tornwordo & Serge's house to relax and visit a bit.  Then we went for happy hour at Le Lab, a 1920s-looking speakeasy.
Enjoying unusual cocktails at Le Lab

Next we were off to experience the best poutine in Montreal at La Banquise.  Traditional poutine is french fries with soft white cheddar cheese curd and gravy which I ordered.
Delicious traditional poutine

Spouse's poutine with a sliced corn dog on top!
There are many, many possible toppings for poutine and La Banquise had a dizzying menu of options.  I can understand why its so popular - its delicious!  Then we headed back to the gay village for a drink at Stock Bar and at L'Aigle Noir (Black Eagle).
Me & Spouse at the Black Eagle
One of the bartenders checking his phone on his break
We said goodnight to Tornwordo & Serge who headed home, but Spouse & I were in the mood for some delicious cake from 1000 Grammes so we picked up a slice to go.  We  walked back to our little studio and ate the cake while watching 'Grace & Frankie'.

6 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

I love vieux montreal; some of the best food I had in the city came from those little cafes there.

I have never tried poutine, but then again I don't really like pommes frites.

cauliflower? who knew! looks like mums! tres belle!

WOOF on the bartender! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about the poutine. It doesn't look or sound very appetizing to me (but that's just me - I'm not a big fan of cheese curd). Thanks for sharing your pictures, sounds like you had a fun trip.

Calvin

Mistress Maddie said...

I see you two were surrounded by men in the bar!!!!!

wcs said...

I'm loving the photos of your trip! Montreal is such a nice place (except maybe in the middle of winter). I love it when blog worlds collide! Ken and I met Torn and Serge briefly in 2012 when we spent a quick weekend in Montreal following our marriage in upstate NY. Not enough time!

Bob said...

Great photos. Great trip.
I've never been to Montreal but it is on my "Go to" list!

Ur-spo said...

what marvelous photos! thank you for sharing .