Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Grease

Last night Joe P and I went to the theatre.  Community theatre, that is. We went to see one of my favorite musicals: Grease!

I remember seeing it at the movie theatre when Grease came out in 1978.  I loved all the songs and bought the movie soundtrack album.  Yes, that's right - a 33 1/3 RMP vinyl record album.  I still have it.

Joe P and I met for dinner first and then walked next door to the theatre which is located in what used to be the sanctuary of an old church.  Rather than a traditional flat stage, this venue has a wide 'ramp' which extends the performance space out into the room, giving it a 'theatre in the round' affect.

The singers/actors were fine.  No one really stood out as exceptional, but all were certainly on par with what one would expect from local community theatre.  I did find the choreography and blocking to be better than I expected.  Joe P and I both enjoy supporting the local arts scene.

But the real 'star' of the show is the music.  With favorites like "Summer Nights", "Beauty School Drop-out", "There Are Worse Things I Could Do", "Hopelessly Devoted", "Sandy", and "You're The One That I Want" its hard to NOT have a good time.

1 comment:

Biki Honko said...

Grease was one of the few movies I hated to the point where I left the movie theater. And I feel the same way about West Side Story. My hubby loves both of them.

I'm glad the community theater delivered a solid show. Fairbanks has FLOT {Fairbanks Light Opera Theater} and most of their shows are enjoyable. Years ago we took the boys to see "The Music Man" and they loved it. FLOT did a great job and the audience really showed their appreciation.