Friday, April 17, 2015

Joy ride


Yesterday was my day off.  Since I worked at home painting all last week, I decided not to make myself a long 'to do' list as I often do.  

But 1 thing I definitely DID want to do was to take Big Ella out for a drive.  It seems like months since I'd been able to do that, since I try not to drive her in the rain.  Yesterday was a mostly sunny day so it was perfect for an afternoon drive.
Click photo to enlarge

While I was out I stopped at Subway to have a sandwich.  A man came into Subway and asked if he could show my car to his grandson who has a passion for classics.  "Of course" I said, not surprised at all that Big Ella drew their attention.  While I ate I saw the man and his grandson walking around the car, pointing, and talking.  It was cute.

Afterward I made another stop, this time at a store to pick something up.  As I returned to Big Ella, a man sitting in the car next to Big Ella began asking me friendly questions about what year she was, how long I'd had her, did I restore her myself, etc.  As we wished each other a nice day and I opened the door, another man came up to me and said "I just have to talk to you about your
Click photo to enlarge
car."  He went on to tell me this story about how many years ago he bought a car 'just like this', only it wasn't turquoise and might have been a different year, but to him it was 'just like it'. 

So many people have a connection to this iconic car.  An uncle had one, a neighbor had one, they used to have one, they learned to drive in one, they went to 3rd base in one - it never ceases to amaze me.  (Seriously, a man once told me his child was conceived in the back seat of a car like mine.)

It makes me feel really fortunate that I get to tool around town in Big Ella, my stunningly beautiful piece of drivable art.
Click photo to enlarge

6 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

to all your readers: if you have not seen this car in person, you haven't LIVED! it is a work of art, when detroit made cars that didn't fall apart after a year.

Anonymous said...

Big Ella is beautiful! It would be fun to hear more about her. How did you get her, how along have you had her, did you restore her, who named her, etc.
(Your history with her.)

Thank you,
Calvin

Travel said...

It looks like fun, we all need something in our lives that just makes us smile.

Biki Honko said...

I love seeing Big Ella! And like Calvin would love to read an entire post of you and Big Ella. Please?

Ur-spo said...

wow ! what a great photo!

Anonymous said...

Hey there. I recently found your blog and I love it. Lots of great stuff here! I especially love the sarcastic/humor pics. Greatjob with the beardy boy idea! Jack